Refrigerate breads?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macgyver1968

Senior Cook
I had a little disagreement with my sister. I always heard that you don't refrigerate breads, because it actually makes it go stale quicker...hense...bread boxes. She's says the opposite.

Just wondering which is true?

I find that there are some breads that need to be refrigerated because they don't have the preservatives in them that some do.

A large family----- probably not a problem. But a person living alone----- maybe.

A long time ago I left a load of Wonder Bread (aka balloon bread) out on the counter to see how long before it got moldy.

The answer? Never. After a few months I needed the counter space. LOL Still had some spring in the slices too.

Refrigerating bread does stave off spoiling but it also speeds up staling. Freezing bread prolongs its life and prevents mold, and it only takes about 10 minutes to thaw.

If bread isn't going to be used in a reasonable length of time, I freeze it and take out slices as needed and either toast them from frozen or defrost them in the microwave. I'm not a fan of multicolored bread. Green and blue really turn me off.

Andy said:
" I'm not a fan of multicolored bread. Green and blue really turn me off."

Whatcha got against penicillin?:)

We always refrigerate our bread, well sealed. Sandwich bread, bagels and muffins are toasted, rolls are heated, and tortilla's are flame toasted on the stove burners. Although refrigerated bread may seem stale right out of the fridge, heating it solves that. I've never had bread go moldy in the fridge.

Last edited:
If bread isn't going to be used in a reasonable length of time, I freeze it and take out slices as needed and either toast them from frozen or defrost them in the microwave. I'm not a fan of multicolored bread. Green and blue really turn me off.

My mother used to make pink and green breads, cut it into slices, and the slices into little squares, them make tuna, or egg salad, or potted meat sandwiches to serve at house parties and such. Nobody complained about multi-colored breads. I don't understand why you should have a problem with them.;)

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I live alone and always refrigerate breads. They don't get too stale to eat alone, but usually they get toasted, so no problem.

Refrigeration for me keeps the bread products from molding long enough for me to use tham up.

I'd love to be able to freeze some of them, but freezer space is an issue.

Most of my freezer space is dedicated to leftovers and bread takes up a lot of space.

If I buy french bread or other "fancy" bread products, I plan to use them up quickly - keep them in the 'fridge or find room in the freezer.

Regular breads stay in the fridge all the time, and last for weeks.

I live alone and always refrigerate breads. They don't get too stale to eat alone, but usually they get toasted, so no problem.

Refrigeration for me keeps the bread products from molding long enough for me to use tham up.

I'd love to be able to freeze some of them, but freezer space is an issue.

Most of my freezer space is dedicated to leftovers and bread takes up a lot of space.

If I buy french bread or other "fancy" bread products, I plan to use them up quickly - keep them in the 'fridge or find room in the freezer.

Regular breads stay in the fridge all the time, and last for weeks.

I have my Christmas sandwich bread hanging outside to keep it frozen. Last week, it never rose above 3 degrees F. all week long. It's still in the teens, plenty cold enough for my needs. If it warms into the 20's, it's still cold enough. I love my giant, outdoor freezer this time of year.

What causes bread to go stale is that the cold of the fridge sucks out the moisture in the bread. I break a loaf of bread in half. One half for the freezer and one half for the fridge. Both are well sealed. I often will use my food saver for the freezer one. Just use the sealer option alone.

I buy sliced Italian bread that is locally made here in Eastie. No preservatives. So it goes stale quickly if I don't keep it in the fridge. :angel:

Its just me and my wife.
As soon as the bread is brought home, it is sealed and put in the freezer. Unless we are going to eat it all that very day.
Freezing for us is a life saver. We don't have good bakery's here. So when we find a good loaf or some very nice rolls, we buy them and freeze them.

Frozen bread, that has been sealed well during freezing is very close to the freshness the day it was purchased if you allow it to thaw out completely while still sealed.
Or remove what you need and use it immediately.

I have been freezing my bread for my entire life.

What causes bread to go stale is that the cold of the fridge sucks out the moisture in the bread. I break a loaf of bread in half. One half for the freezer and one half for the fridge. Both are well sealed. I often will use my food saver for the freezer one. Just use the sealer option alone.

I buy sliced Italian bread that is locally made here in Eastie. No preservatives. So it goes stale quickly if I don't keep it in the fridge. :angel:

According to Cooks Illustrated,

The staling of bread and other starch-based foods is due to a process called retrogradation. In the bread-making process, water hydrates the starches in the flour and then, as the loaf bakes, the starches gelatinize and soften. Over time, the starches in that baked loaf crystallize and incorporate water into the crystalline structure, leading to an apparently dry, stale loaf. The good news is that the water doesn’t travel very far: Most of it remains trapped within the starch crystals. This proximity makes the retrogradation process reversible, at least for a little while.

So while stale bread is dry, it's not because of evaporation or cold air. Freezing retards retrogradation.

I have my Christmas sandwich bread hanging outside to keep it frozen. Last week, it never rose above 3 degrees F. all week long. It's still in the teens, plenty cold enough for my needs. If it warms into the 20's, it's still cold enough. I love my giant, outdoor freezer this time of year.

So there's something good about freezing weather! I live in pretty balmy weather here, but apparently my idea of freezing works well wherever you are.:LOL:

I don't watch that TV show The Big Bang Theory much at all, but the lead nerd explained in scientific words why storing bread in the fridge decreases its shelf life. I forget exactly what he said.

I don't watch that TV show The Big Bang Theory much at all, but the lead nerd explained in scientific words why storing bread in the fridge decreases its shelf life. I forget exactly what he said.

Seeking scientific explanations on a half hour TV comedy. I wish I'd thought of that.

Google is my friend! (grin)

"Sheldon: You shouldn’t keep your bread in the refrigerator. Staleness is caused by crystallization of the starch molecules, which occurs faster at cool temperatures."

And I wouldn't miss a single episode of the Big Bang Theory! One of the few shows that I'll watch old re-runs. :)

Last edited:
I have tried both in the fridge and not in the fridge. I find it goes mouldy much quicker if I don't put it in the fridge. I buy bread with no preservatives.

I had a little disagreement with my sister. I always heard that you don't refrigerate breads, because it actually makes it go stale quicker...hense...bread boxes. She's says the opposite.

Just wondering which is true?
The French have the right idea. Buy the bread fresh everyday or even 2 or 3 times a day in some families.

What not to do is seal it up in a plastic box at room temp. It'll grow a very interesting green beard - unless it's nuked with chemical preservatives of course

Freezing works if you seal the bread in bags, excluding as much air as poss.

Back
Top Bottom