Retro Lemon Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Like Lemon? me too. an easy batter bread that's been around forever;)
In a large bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups a/p flour,1 cup sugar,1 tea. baking powder,and1/2 tea. salt. In another bowl beat 2 eggs lightly and beat in 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup oil,and1-1/2 tea lemon zest now add liquid mixture to flour and stir just til blended. Pour batter into greased 9x5 nloaf pan bake at 325 40-45 min til toothpick in center comes out clean. When you take this out of the oven while hot poke holes all over the cake then pour lemon glaze all over the top to prepare the glaze In a small pan combine 4-1/2 tab. fresh lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar place over med heat and cook stirring til sugar dissolves thendrizzle this glaze over the the bread make sure your holes go to the bottom of the bread and slowly soaks in let the bread cool in the pan for at least 15 min then turn out on rack to finish cooling.
kades

Last edited:
kades, I used to make lemon bread for my sister all the time. Her favorite. I took a lemon and sliced it really, really thin. Removed seeds (of course), placed the slices in simple syrup and boiled on low on the stove until the rinds were soft and edible. I then would line the sides and top with the slices of lemon. They do stick to the sides with no problem. Pretty presentation. Any leftover slices went into a wide mouth Mason jar with the syrup and kept in the fridge. Because of the sugar, it would last a long time. But not in my house. My kids loved to eat the lemon slices and then fight over who got the lemon syrup. :angel:

One of the great advantages of breads be it lemon, pumpkin, banana, is that the next morning toast a slice and put butter on it for a good nutritional breakfast. And it is quick. I have the opinion that they always taste better the next day. :angel:

Addie said:
One of the great advantages of breads be it lemon, pumpkin, banana, is that the next morning toast a slice and put butter on it for a good nutritional breakfast. And it is quick. I have the opinion that they always taste better the next day. :angel:

Oh yes, all of the flavors mix and become more intense!

This Lemon bread is evil!!! I made it today and I have had 3 slices :( Not my fault it called my name lol! Think I'll make it with a sugar substitute next time!

Snip 13 said:
This Lemon bread is evil!!! I made it today and I have had 3 slices :( Not my fault it called my name lol! Think I'll make it with a sugar substitute next time!

Be sure to review it here so we know how it turns out with the substitute. Thanks!

Be sure to review it here so we know how it turns out with the substitute. Thanks!

I'm on it! I'll post back tomorrow evening. I've bought the sugar substitute and I'm making another one for a diabetic friend tomorrow. Going there for dinner and she really wants to try it :)

This is the sweetener I'm using

615%5C7640110704615%5CIDShot_225x225.jpg

Last edited:
I never heard of lemon bread before. It sounds delicious. I made a lemon mousse yesterday and forgot to add the lemon zest, so I have the organic lemon zest ready to use. I think I'll go pick up some lemons.

Like Lemon? me too. an easy batter bread that's been around forever;)
In a large bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups a/p flour,1 cup sugar,1 tea. baking powder,and1/2 tea. salt. In another bowl beat 2 eggs lightly and beat in 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup oil,and1-1/2 tea lemon zest now add liquid mixture to flour and stir just til blended. Pour batter into greased 9x5 nloaf pan bake at 325 40-45 min til toothpick in center comes out clean. When you take this out of the oven while hot poke holes all over the cake then pour lemon glaze all over the top to prepare the glaze In a small pan combine 4-1/2 tab. fresh lemon juice and 1/3 cup sugar place over med heat and cook stirring til sugar dissolves thendrizzle this ot glaze over the the bread make sure your holes go to the bottom of the bread and slowly soaks in let the bread cool in the pan for at least 15 min then turn out on rack to finish cooling.
kades

Brings back memories of lemon poke cake (I surrounded with raspberries). Will have to dust off the recipe & give it another go.

I'm so glad you made it and loved it. That's what DC is all about. Share and report back. Thanks friend.Remember it's not just sugar that gets us the flour has carb as well.:(
kades

Brings back memories of lemon poke cake (I surrounded with raspberries). Will have to dust off the recipe & give it another go.
Please share your recipe with us it sounds yummy.
kades

I never heard of lemon bread before. It sounds delicious. I made a lemon mousse yesterday and forgot to add the lemon zest, so I have the organic lemon zest ready to use. I think I'll go pick up some lemons.

go pick those lemons and try the bread. I think you'll like it.:yum:
kades

Back
Top Bottom