Rhubarb cheddar biscuits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't know where to post this--I dreamt this recipe a couple of weeks ago. The biscuits are in the oven--we'll see. I settled on rosemary and sage, as well as some onion tops for the "savory" aspect. Otherwise, it is a basic buttermilk biscuit recipe. My DH is coming to the farm tonight (FINALLY--I have probably spent 2-3 hours with him in the last 2 weeks). He gets to sample the rest of the radish soup and rhubarb-cheddar biscuits. And, I've got salmon marinating.

Last edited:
There is a Sub-Sub Forum for Quick Breads and Biscuits, under the MISC tab up top in the Bread Sub Forum. When you get the recipe figured out and the amounts of rhubarb and herbs...please... Sounds Yummy and I have Rhubarb.

There is a Sub-Sub Forum for Quick Breads and Biscuits, under the MISC tab up top in the Bread Sub Forum. When you get the recipe figured out and the amounts of rhubarb and herbs...please... Sounds Yummy and I have Rhubarb.

I have the recipe figured out. I just didn't know where to post it. Thanks
PF. I'll post it tomorrow--but it is a modification of a copywrited recipe--can I still post it or should I just indicate how much rhubarb I added and how much cheese and herbs? I also changed the technique (coated the rhubarb with flour, etc.)

I'll see if DH likes them as much as I do (being that I am ambivilant when it comes to rhubarb--and, I've eaten SEVEN of them. He's late, there might not be any left by the time he gets here...). I'm going to make another batch with some jalapeno etc.and see which combo I like better...omg, I might end up eating all 18 of them hot out of the oven.

I would think you have sufficiently changed the method enough to pass copy right laws. I'm always just rewriting the method in my own words, ingredient lists cannot be copyrighted.

This was something I dreamt, so now that I've made them, I have to say that they are best eaten warm and that they are more like a fritter than a biscuit (texture wise).

2-1/2 c ap flour
1/4 scant c sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t cream of tartar
6 T butter
1 c cheddar (I used old, white), grated + 1/2 c for topping
1 c rhubarb
2 T chopped fresh rosemary
2 tsp chopped fresh sage

Mix dry ingredients together. Remove 1 cup and toss the rhubarb in the flour. Cut the butter into the flour. Add the rhubarb, cheese, and herbs.

Beat 1 egg yolk into 1 c buttermilk

Stir the wet ingredients into the dry. Drop onto a baking sheet covered with parchement paper. Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top of each biscuit. Bake about 12-15 minutes at 425-450.

It is raw. I cut it as if I were dicing celery...if that makes sense. And, I added a bunch of green onion tops (I think I forgot to mention that) that I chopped as well. I'd probably cut back on the cheese a bit or leave it off the top next time. I will experiment with this recipe more. I don't think I'd use frozen rhubarb. I might use cottage cheese or ricotta next time...

Back
Top Bottom