Rhubarb Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1/2 cup margarine/butter (softened)
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
2/3 - 3/4 cup stewed rhubarb

Cream margarine and sugar together, add the eggs and stewed rhubarb, sift in dry ingredients and stir to combine. If it looks a bit too wet toss in some coconut, oatmeal, more flour, nuts. I don't usually measure the rhubarb so sometimes this is pretty loose dough.

Bake at 350 for an hour or so, til a toothpick inserted at the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Substitutions: I've made this with all stewed rhubarb and no margarine. Its great that way too.

Hmm, that sounds interesting, i am going to have to give that a try. We love rhubarb, used to just snap it off and munch on it as a kid.

Same here Maverick. My youngest daughter discovered that this past summer and I had a tough time getting enough to make pies!

Hey, we had rhubarb, todays kids have 'super sour extreme' candy, LOL. My kids thought they had something new with the sour candies, so I got DW to plant rhubarb in the backyard. Now they think differently, and like it better.
That and lemons, had em do the same with lemons. Just trying to teach them that they don't need candy and artificial stuff as nature already provided...

Its a very heavy cakelike texture. I modified mine yesterday. I mixed up the batter and then decided to make a crumble topping. I tossed some oatmeal, flour, brown sugar and butter together and put it on top. I think next time I'll stir that in, and top it with some too. It was a nice addition and it will help alleviate the heaviness of the loaf.

Incidentally, the family thought this was killer good.

Its a very heavy cakelike texture. I modified mine yesterday. I mixed up the batter and then decided to make a crumble topping. I tossed some oatmeal, flour, brown sugar and butter together and put it on top. I think next time I'll stir that in, and top it with some too. It was a nice addition and it will help alleviate the heaviness of the loaf.

Incidentally, the family thought this was killer good.

Almost sounds like moving towards making a rhubarb crisp.

Quick question Alix - Mom was wondering if she could just use fresh finely-cut-up rhubarb, rather than stewing it first.

I don't particularly care for Rhubarb but this sounds like it may change my mind, will give it a try.

jkath, yep she sure could, I just use the stewed stuff because its easier. If she is going with finely chopped fresh stuff I would toss it with some brown sugar and flour before adding it to the rest of the ingredients. I bet that would be yummy. I have a bunch chopped and frozen and am going to try this again with that stuff, I'll squeeze it out first though.

Sounds fab - have some frozen rhubarb, think I'll give it a try to take skiing at the w/e.

Back
Top Bottom