"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Old 02-10-2007, 05:48 PM   #11
Senior Cook
Here is my Mom's recipe for French Toast:

3 eggs
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
¾ cup milk
8-10 bread slices (thick cut French bread is best)
Icing sugar for sprinkling
Mix together eggs, salt and milk. Dunk bread in mixture. Fry on greased med hot pan. Brown both sides.

And my recipe for cornbread with yummy extras:
2 cups corn kernels
2 eggs
½ cup margarine
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
½ cup cornmeal
4 oz diced green chilies
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Put corn, eggs, marg into blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into med size bowl. Add remaining ingredients. Stir to mix. Turn into greased 8”x8” pan. Bake uncovered in 350F oven until an inserted toothpick comes out clean (about 50-60min). Best served hot.

"Feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings"
-Cheris Kramerae, author of A Feminist Dictionary, 1996.

Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #12
Senior Cook
Cornbread is a much fought over concoction. Those of the Northern persuasion insist on putting sugar in it, but then it becomes Johnny [Journey] Cake. Those of the Southron persuasion generally know that for perfect cornbread you must use cast iron. The basic flavor of the cornbread can be varied by the cornmeal/flour mixture and then you can mix most anything you can think of into the batter. My family is of the Southron persuasion for many generations and this recipe has pleased most all of them...there's always some dissension in the ranks

* Exported from MasterCook *
Crusty Skillet Corn Bread
Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Breads-Biscuits-Rolls
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon baking powder
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 stick butter (better if you use bacon grease)
Preheat oven to 375F.
Mix all dry ingredients together. Stir eggs into buttermilk and add to dry mixture. Mix thoroughly. Melt butter inside heavy cast iron skillet. Make sure sides of skillet are coated with butter. Pour remaining butter into the batter and mix thoroughly.
Pour the cornbread batter into the hot skillet and bake at 375F until golden brown (25-30 minutes). Test with a toothpick. If toothpick comes out clean, cornbread is done.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *
Skillet Cornbread
Recipe By :Bill Cotton
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Breads-Biscuits-Rolls
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder (heaping Tbs)
1/4 cup oil (bacon grease preferably) -- divided
2 large eggs
1 cup milk or buttermilk (more or less) -- as desired

Preheat oven to 400F.
Place cast iron skillet on a medium to medium-high heat burner. Add half of the oil and insure both the bottom and sides are greased.
Mix together all dry ingredients. Add your eggs and stir. Add the milk a little at a time until you have a medium thick (able to pour it, but it doesn't run) batter. If desired, you may add chiles, corn, onions, cheese, etc. to the batter. A jalapeño chile, seeded, ribbed and chopped tastes especially good.
When the skillet is hot, place one drop of batter in the oil. If it sizzles, your skillet is ready. Pour the batter into the skillet and then place in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Slide cornbread from the skillet onto a plate and serve.

Now I'll go hide before the arguing commences :D

If you can't find me here, you just might find me over there!
bjcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Hiya billy! welcome back!
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
Head Chef
Glad this thread was resurrected.

I won't touch the cornbread controversy. Am partial to the sweeter type, and usually follow James Beard's recipe.

Started cooking French toast when I was a kid (my parents let us cook pretty much what we wanted to. No we did not cook all the time but when we felt the urge, they let us go). So have no recipe, but Poutine's sounds about right.

Or just look on the web or at the Joy or any other cookbook.

The only gimmic I can add to French toast is to use an egg bread. Portuguese or Hawaiian bread (Portuguese nuns went to Hawaii so the product is the same. Why the nuns went there I don't know but their bread is great) or Challah (about the same) are fantastic.

Challah is a Jewish bread I believe and have found it more available in many places than the Portuguese version of egg bread.

It always fascinates me that so many similar disheds can be found in very different cultures. But that could be a topic for another thread.

For the egg breads, which are very porous, just dip them briefly in the egg mixture, or they will fall apart. And the bread should be in fairly thick slices.

But there is nothing better than French toast with Portuguese or Hawaiian or Jewish bread.

auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #15
Master Chef
I am from the southern part of north. I know how to make both kinds of cornbread, but I like mine sweet. My husband does the honors, and we use Jiffy Cornbread Mix.
He also makes the French Toast, from a guideline that Kadesma gave us. He uses Texas toast, and uses a little sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in the milk/egg mix. We've also made it with French bread, which I like best.
As for your chicken, I don't know how you're fixing it, but I always find the breast a bit dry, no matter how it's prepared. That's why I prefer the thigh.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:08 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Some of my family is from the north - Minnesota/Canada - and others are from the south. I've learned to love both styles of cornbread and enjoy it depending on my mood. However, one thing I always insist on...cook it in a cast-iron skillet. Another thing I "must" have is melted bacon grease in the skillet before adding the cornbread batter. There's nothing like it. I keep a container of bacon grease in my freezer for cornbread and other bacon-flavored dishes.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:54 AM   #17
Assistant Cook
Mom's from the south and has an old heavy iron skillet so I'll use it.
bjcotton that crusty cornbread looks to die for.
She's made what she calls mexican corn bread with corn and chiles etc... before so I'm writing it all down.

Also, the French toast tasted Sooooo much better thank you!! (need to get vanilla though) and will try cornbread tonight.

Thanks so much everyone =)
perpetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #18
Sous Chef
Phil, Thanks. I copied your recipe of your Scratch Corn Bread. Sounds great. Will try soon. And I teach Commercial Graphic Arts. How did I know.
Thanks again.

Aria is offline   Reply With Quote