"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 02-04-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Some basics?? French Toast and cornbread?

My mother's the great cook so I'm just trying to learn the basics. She cooks by pinch and feel, no recipe.

I just learned what a difference lemon juice makes to tuna salad so I thought I'd seek out some more easy but effective tricks if I could.

Two that I'd like to improve on are French Toast, mine is always dry and cardboardy. (I do add sugar to the egg mix)

and

Cornbread, which I'm just making from the albers box and still can't get right. It's always dry and crumbly. I tried adding yogurt didn't help. Also using Olive oil instead of vegetable oil.

Also my chicken comes out dry would it be good to marinade in lemon juice? or something??? I dunno

I should also mention we all try to cut back on butters and other fats.

Thanks for any tips!!!

=)

Old 02-04-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Executive Chef

mmmm...french toast! I dont add sugar, but I do add some vanilla, cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg. And a splash of milk.

My Joy of Cooking bible says ... 2/3 cup whole milk, heavy cream or half n half, 4 large eggs, 2 tbsp sugar or maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp salt. That is for 6 slices of bread.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

try soaking your French toast longer before you start cooking it - you really have to let the egg/milk mix penetrate the bread and get it nice and soggy first. a little grated orange peel is very tasty in the batter.

sounds like you are overcooking both the cornbread and the chicken.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
Master Chef

Ditto what Mudbug said.

For french toast the bread needs to soak until it gets soggy - otherwise your just putting an eggwash on dry bread.

Cornbread sounds "over baked" - don't know what the "albers" mix says - but one thing what will cause cornbread to over cook is not using the size of pan they list on the box. If the directions are for 6-12 muffins and you pour the batter into a 10-12 inch cake pan or skillet- the batter will be thinner than in the muffin pans and will cook quicker. If I'm not making it from scratch I use Jiffy Corn Muffin mix ... I'll double the recipe for a 10-inch skillet, triple it for a 12-inch skillet - and use the time/temp on the box.

Again, if your chicken is dry it's overcooked - or could be your cooking method ... something that you didn't mention and could make a big difference in how to solve the problem. Marinating could help (although I wouldn't use straight lemon juice) and so could brining. Altering your cooking method may also do the trick.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Scratch corn bread is easy ....

First up, buy a #8 iron skillet and season it per instructions. Never scrub it. It's the greatest skillet on planet earth.
2 eggs, 1 c milk, 1/4 c corn oil (many recipes call for shornening, but we like the way the oil works) 1 1/2 cps. yellow corn meal, 1 c all purpose flour, 1/4 c sugar, 2 1/4 tsp. baking powder, 3/4 tsp. salt. All wet ingredients room temp., mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Oven at 450, grease your pan, pour mix in and bake 20-25 minutes ( or 12 greased muffin cups, 2/3 full, 15-20 min. or till a toothpick is clean after inserted in middle )
This cornbread rises four inches and is moist and delicious. I never use the packaged stuff cause I'm hooked on this recipe.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Wonderful!! You all answered all of my questions. I'm going to make French toast ASAP!
Thanks

(and I'm replacing that albers recipe with the one suggested)

Thank you
Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Perpetual,

I use Texas Toast bread when I make french toast. It works great.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

That sounds really good!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #9
Head Chef

Pepperidge Farm makes a Cinnamon Swirl bread that is wonderful as French Toast.

As far as cornbread is concerned, I've never been a fan of it, because it's ALL too dry and crumbly, no matter where in the country I've tried it.

I LOVE the spoonbread recipe that BarbarainNc posted! Give this one a whirl. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...ght=spoonbread

Lee
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2007, 12:37 AM   #10
Master Chef

A wonderfully flavorful french toast recipe; Makes 4 slices.

Ingredients;
2 jumbo eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs. sugar or sweetener of choice (maple syrup is very good, as is honey)
1 dash ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
4 slices whole wheat bread
cooking spray.

Heat flat skilelt until water will instantly boil away when dripped on the surface. While the pan in heating, mix together all ingredients, except the bread and cooking spray in a large bowl. Soak each piece of bread in teh egg mixture until it is saturated, placing each onto the pan, which has been covered with the cooking spray. Cook over medium heat until the first side is lightly browned. Flip and cook for an additional two to three minutes. Serve immediately with your favorite topping.

To turn this into something very rich and special, after flipping the first two slices, place w American cheese slices onto each cooked side. Top with the cooked side of the other two slices and complete cooking as with a grilled cheese sandwich. Drizzle pure maple syrup over the top and serve. It sounds strange but tastes incredible.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote