"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 11-07-2004, 06:40 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Sourdough Biscuits

Was just watching 'Cowboy Cooking' on FoodTV, saw these biscuits and my mouth started watering! Haven't made them yet, but here's the recipe they posted:

SOURDOUGH BISCUITS

4 cups Sourdough Starter, recipe follows
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 heaping teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
1 stick butter, melted

Special Equipment: 1 (16-inch) Dutch oven

Prepare the Sourdough Starter the night before. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Sprinkle yeast in the starter and stir. Add sugar and stir. Add salt and stir. Add baking powder and stir. Add oil and then gradually add flour. Place dough on a floured board and sprinkle more flour on top of dough. Flatten dough by hand and then cut with a biscuit cutter. Spray a 16-inch Dutch oven with non-stick cooking spray and then add a little oil to the bottom of the Dutch oven. Place biscuits in Dutch oven, being careful not to overcrowd them. Top with melted butter and set aside to let rise until wrinkles are gone. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Sourdough Starter:
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
4 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
1/3 cup sugar
4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 raw potato
Dissolve yeast in warm water and whisk to combine. Add sugar and whisk until sugar dissolves. Add sifted flour, 1 cup at a time, whisking after each addition to combine. Peel, wash, and grate the raw potato and add it to the flour mixture. Place starter in a very clean, wide bowl, cover it with a towel, and let rest in a warm place overnight. The starter should be made ahead of time, even 3 to 4 days ahead.

A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.

Old 11-07-2004, 06:48 PM   #2
Head Chef

Wow, you're almost reading my mind here, marmalady! I just thawed out and rehydrated some rye-based sourdough starter last week and was planning on making some sourdough bread tomorrow, schedule permitting. Hmmm....now I'm thinking biscuits may be in order!

Thank you for the clairvoyance!!

Old 11-07-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
Executive Chef

:)
Old 11-09-2004, 05:04 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Marmalady: The recipe for Sourdough Biscuits looks like a definite keeper! Incidentally, were you apprised that a sourdough sponge makes the lightest, crispest waffles? Naturally, they have a flavor found nowhere else.

Undoubtedly, there are sourdough novices amongst our readership; here is an alternative method for a basic sourdough starter (ideal for making the waffles):

Place 1 cup whole milk in a glass jar with a loose lid. Allow to stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Then stir in 1 to 1½ cups flour and cover loosely for 2-5 days at room temperature (80° is excellent for 2 days; or winter “work” at 65° could take at least 5 days).

Reserve ¼ cup to use as a base for the next batch. To the remainder, add water at the rate of ½ cup water to 1 cup flour-&-milk mixture (an extra ¼ cup may be needed if the mixture is too firm). Let it bubble another 6-8 hours.

Refrigerate starter between uses. It will keep 2-3 weeks undisturbed, but is better if used and refreshed more frequently. This starter can also be frozen for 4-6 months.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #5
Head Chef

This is definately a keeper, marmalady. Made some fantastic biscuits yesterday afternoon! The only thing I kind of added to the process was to set my dutch oven into the big oven at 85 degrees to preheat it, and let the dough rise, once formed, for about an hour. At that point, the biscuits were already plump, but not overly so. Then baked with the lid removed.

Yum, yum, yum!! Thanks for the recipe!
Old 11-11-2004, 05:18 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I love sour dough bread but have never tried making it. These might be a good way to start.

:) Barbara
Old 12-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #7
Executive Chef

handy man coming over right now to sand my kitchen cabinets and I HAVE NO BUSINESS BEING ON THIS DANG COMPUTER. I HAVE MAJOR THINGS TO DO...............but..........................I am really going to make this starter for the holidays and my baking...........never made a sourdough starter that I liked ever......you know, it's supposed to smell yeasty, not sour, according to my bread book, the starter that is. I'll give this one a try.......thanks ever so much for sharing
Old 12-10-2004, 07:15 PM   #8
Executive Chef

You're most welcome!