"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #21
Master Chef

The easiest biscuit recipe:

Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #22
Head Chef

My old Kentucky friend Malva Gay gave me her biscuit recipe and her secret to success was to bake the biscuits for 10 or 12 minutes at 400 degrees, and then she turned the broiler on to brown the tops. Makes pretty biscuits that are not dried out.

Don't turn your eyes away, she said, or you will have burnt biscuits.

Malva had a biscuit bowl, and she was a little puzzled that I didn't know what she was talking about. She used a big bowl that held a 5 pound bag of self rising flour. When she was ready to make biscuits, she made a well in the flour, and poured her buttermilk and oil into the well. Then, she gradually mixed enough of the flour into the biscuits til the dough was 'just right'. She pulled chunks of dough off, patted them into shape with floury hands, and set them on the pans.

Her husband said Malva's biscuits were so good because she always patted them out on his belly. And when she wanted to make donuts . . . .well, never mind.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:32 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
The easiest biscuit recipe:

I don't know if you are teasing or not but... For just Jeannie and myself here, I went to these a year or so ago.. I still do scratch for family visits, IF they want...

Ross
Old 04-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Did she use liquid vegetable oil or laurd, I make a well also with the amount of flour : 2 3/4 cups , oil 1/2 cup , & 1 cup + a smidge more until The dough has the right texture, then I pull chunks of dough , hand roll & pat down gently in pan. Some people say use half laurd & half butter; they only become crumbly when I reheat them. I use White Lilly self rising flour, the rise beautifully , look & taste great; They only become crumbly when reheated.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

I have used Grands Biscuits but they leave my mouth with a greasy tase.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I don't know if you are teasing or not but... For just Jeannie and myself here, I went to these a year or so ago.. I still do scratch for family visits, IF they want...

Ross
No teasing, honest. I can sometimes get these at the 99 Only store, and when they have them I stock up. They are quick and easy for things like breakfast biscuit sandwiches, biscuits and gravy, and as an accompaniment to a simple supper instead of dinner rolls.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
No teasing, honest. I can sometimes get these at the 99 Only store, and when they have them I stock up. They are quick and easy for things like breakfast biscuit sandwiches, biscuits and gravy, and as an accompaniment to a simple supper instead of dinner rolls.

exactly... I buy the Grands frozen biscuits.. Usually on sale, in 2 or 3 different types, sometimes 20 to a package.. I can pop 2 for me, 1 for Jeannie in the oven with whatever is baking and we are good to go..

Ross
Old Today, 11:43 AM   #28
Head Chef

I usually make the frozen biscuits. Like them way better than whomp biscuits.