"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 10-14-2012, 12:41 AM   #1
Flour Child

Southern Biscuits...I need help

I would like to make some southern biscuits using these ingredients but I don't know how much to use of each. Any ideas? Then, after I roll them out, should I let them sit for awhile or bake them right away? Thanks for your help.

Enriched Wheat Flour
Carbonated Water
Shortening
Dry Buttermilk
Sugar
Baking Powder
(that's right...no salt, no trans fat)

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
Executive Chef

well, I am not Southern, and it probably shows as I don't have any buttermilk on hand and I probably should. I admit I usually use Betty Crocker cookbook plain baking powder recipe. I use Rumford Brand Aluminum free baking powder. I have no knowlege about the purpose of salt use. If it's for flavor enhancement, then it's ok to omit. If it is necessary to help the rising or something, then it's a quandary if you don't use it. I always use shortening in my biscuits, not butter even when I've had powdered or real buttermilk in a jug.

I'll dust the flour off my fingers and you may take all this with just the hearty handshake offered.

Here's an old recipe off a Saco brand powder buttermilk can. Maybe you can adjust accordingly.

2 cups flour,
2 tsp baking powder,
3 tablespoons powdered buttermilk
1 tsp salt,
1/2 tsp soda,
1 tablespoon sugar.
1/3 cup cold butter
2/3 cup ice water

What I can't remember is did I or did I not reconstitue the buttermilk powder in water before stirring it into the batter. Don't know that this will work if you are using seltzer water without losing the fizz.

Chill some of these ingredients. I never let biscuit dough rest, or if they do, only as long as they are resting on the baking sheet waiting their turn to go in the oven to come out hot for serving. I also knead the dough only to incorporate, not too much.

Make one straight down with a biscuit cutter, no jiggling > this helps them rise evenly in the oven. My biscuits are less than the proscribed inch thick in this recipe. But that's just me. More biscuits = more surface to smear with butter and honey or jam. At Least a half inch, 3/4 inch is my ideal.

Cut in cold butter. Quickly stir in ice water. Pat to 1" thickness, cut into biscuits, bake on greased cookie sheet @400* x 10-12 minutes.

I don't recall Greasing a baking sheet for biscuits in my life. Not cookies either.

Ha ! I just googled up the Saco website-- look at it too. It's different than what I just wrote, but at least they don't grease their pans now either.

SACO Foods Recipes: Saco Buttermilk Biscuits

Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Flour Child

Thank you so much, whiskadoodle. The ingredients are practically identical. I never expected all the extra tips you gave and they're excellent. I confess that I've never made biscuits so everything you mentioned will be so helpful. I'll let you know how they turn out. Thank you again.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Gracious. I thought everyone made biscuits. I make quite a few times per year, esp in the cooler months., I think its one of the first things we learned in 7th grade Home-Ec when we had exchange semester with the girls who took shop. That and cake from a box and we had to sew straight seams and make our own draw string gym bags, long before the advent of back packs. Doofiest looking things ever. No wonder we never took our gym clothes home for laundry much to the chagrin of our mothers.

PS, I just peeked in the betty crocker cookbook when I was refilling my cup. Their Southern Butter milk biscuit recipe calls for 2/3 cup buttermilk and approx the same proportion ingredients in the recipe I printed. So, I think this close to or on the right track.

Good eating with ya.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Oh-- and my best use for biscuits is to put on top of chcken pot pie.

Heat the casserole in the oven. When it's bubbly, then lay the biscuits on and cook until they are done, about the same amount of time as if they were on baking sheets. For some reason, if you put the biscuits on a cold stew, the bottoms come out soggy when the tops are done.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Head Chef

easy biscuits
2 cups AP flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil or shorting
2/3 cup milk
Mix all ingr. do not over mix
, spoon or roll into rounds and bake @ 350 till browned
I prefer not to roll then as "drop" biscuits are more airy.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Salt is pretty much the only thing that gives biscuits any flavor, otherwise it will pretty much taste like flour and shortening. You could also try using butter instead of shortening if you want to avoid hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oil all together (most shortening contain partially hydrogenated fats even though they say "trans fat free"

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Salt is pretty much the only thing that gives biscuits any flavor, otherwise it will pretty much taste like flour and shortening. You could also try using butter instead of shortening if you want to avoid hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oil all together (most shortening contain partially hydrogenated fats even though they say "trans fat free"
Actually, salt does more than add flavor. Salt plays a role in gluten formation and adds elasticity to dough. The amount of salt added is divided over all the biscuits, so if the recipe calls for 1 tsp and makes 12 biscuits, each biscuit should have 1/12 of a tsp salt. If using club soda instead of seltzer, there is sodium in the club soda.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm lazy and a creature of habit. I just use Bisquick or Jiffy baking mix, and make drop biscuits.

But... although the directions say to use an ungreased pan, I always spray with cooking oil. It makes for easier cleaning, and doesn't affect the biscuits at all.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I would like to make some southern biscuits using these ingredients but I don't know how much to use of each. Any ideas? Then, after I roll them out, should I let them sit for awhile or bake them right away? Thanks for your help.

Enriched Wheat Flour
Carbonated Water
Shortening
Dry Buttermilk
Sugar
Baking Powder
(that's right...no salt, no trans fat)
Saw Z's post and was reminded that once you have the measurements down, you can make your own mix like Bisquick. Just mix up the dry ingredients and cut in the shortening, store in airtight container. That way you can even make pancakes with it in a minute!