"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 01-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Spoonbread, Oh My Goodness!

Spoonbread
Heat oven to 350*

In a glass 9 x 13 baking dish, pan melt a stick of margarine.

In a bowl:
8 oz. sour cream
2 eggs
1 can cream corn (14 0z)
1 or 2 boxes Jiffy Corn Bread Mix (1 box if you want a softer spoonbread, or 2 boxes if you want a firmer spoonbread. I like to make mine with 1 box.)

Pour batter over melted margarine, don't stir.

Bake for approx. 1 hour. Yours may get done guicker, I'd check after 45 50 minutes. I cooked a pot roast and gravy. Pour some gravy over your spoonbread and enjoy!!!!

Old 01-02-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Head Chef

YUM! I will try this with just the one box.

I don't care much for cornbread, but this looks great! Maybe add can of green chilis or some minced fresh jalapeno in it!

Lee

Old 01-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I've never had spoonbread. What is the texture like (with both 1 or 2 boxes)?

Barbara
Old 01-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Texture of Spoonbread:

1 box is sort of soft and 2 boxes is firmer. Just make it one way one time and the other way the next, see which one your like. Try it and you will love it. I had never tried it until a co-worker asked me to make it up for her. She provided the ingredients and recipe. I made it during my lunch time for her. I asked could I sample, and she said sure!!! It was so goood!!!!! She needed it for lunch that day, and couldn't leave the office to make it.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
That sounds great (lol, now I'll be craving corn bread all day ), but I'm wondering how it could be modified for those of us who don't live in countries that have instant corn bread mixes?

If I left most of the liquod out of a homemade corn bread recipe (to compensate for the sour cream and cream corn) would that work? (If I can find cream corn here that is, the local stores doesn't stock it). Well if nothing else I'll tuck this recipe away for future use, many thanks for sharing it Barbara

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
Senior Cook

For those who can't get Cornbread mix:

I don't have another package on hand, but Jiffy is sort of a sweet cornbread mix. When I get some more, I'll post about the how much and what is in the box.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Sorry I didn't make myself clearer. I understood softer and firmer, but having never had spoonbread I don't have any idea what it is like. Would it compare in texture to pudding? Bread pudding?

Barbara
Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Sharing

thanks for sharing! How do you feel about all the mixes that they have in the store vs. starting with cornmeal? Don't you question the about of salt they add? I always take the long way around to prepare. Not because I have so much time, mainly to eliminate some of the additives that are indicated on the package. I just can't recall what I saw on the cornbread mix. thanks for your time and opinion.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Spoonbread

Spoonbread is like a firm bread pudding. Talking of bread pudding, had some last night.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Cornbread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarainnc
Spoonbread is like a firm bread pudding. Talking of bread pudding, had some last night.
I thought since it had cornbread mix that is what it would taste like. thanks