Spoonbread, Oh My Goodness!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbarainnc

Senior Cook
Spoonbread
Heat oven to 350*

In a glass 9 x 13 baking dish, pan melt a stick of margarine.

In a bowl:
8 oz. sour cream
2 eggs
1 can cream corn (14 ¾ 0z)
1 or 2 boxes Jiffy Corn Bread Mix (1 box if you want a softer spoonbread, or 2 boxes if you want a firmer spoonbread. I like to make mine with 1 box.)

Pour batter over melted margarine, don't stir.

Bake for approx. 1 hour. Yours may get done guicker, I'd check after 45 – 50 minutes. I cooked a pot roast and gravy. Pour some gravy over your spoonbread and enjoy!!!!

YUM! I will try this with just the one box.

I don't care much for cornbread, but this looks great! Maybe add can of green chilis or some minced fresh jalapeno in it!

Lee

Texture of Spoonbread:

1 box is sort of soft and 2 boxes is firmer. Just make it one way one time and the other way the next, see which one your like. Try it and you will love it. I had never tried it until a co-worker asked me to make it up for her. She provided the ingredients and recipe. I made it during my lunch time for her. I asked could I sample, and she said sure!!! It was so goood!!!!! She needed it for lunch that day, and couldn't leave the office to make it.

That sounds great (lol, now I'll be craving corn bread all day :LOL:), but I'm wondering how it could be modified for those of us who don't live in countries that have instant corn bread mixes?

If I left most of the liquod out of a homemade corn bread recipe (to compensate for the sour cream and cream corn) would that work? (If I can find cream corn here that is, the local stores doesn't stock it). Well if nothing else I'll tuck this recipe away for future use, many thanks for sharing it Barbara :)

For those who can't get Cornbread mix:

I don't have another package on hand, but Jiffy is sort of a sweet cornbread mix. When I get some more, I'll post about the how much and what is in the box.:) :)

Sorry I didn't make myself clearer. I understood softer and firmer, but having never had spoonbread I don't have any idea what it is like. Would it compare in texture to pudding? Bread pudding?

:) Barbara

Sharing

thanks for sharing! How do you feel about all the mixes that they have in the store vs. starting with cornmeal? Don't you question the about of salt they add? I always take the long way around to prepare. Not because I have so much time, mainly to eliminate some of the additives that are indicated on the package. I just can't recall what I saw on the cornbread mix. thanks for your time and opinion.

Spoonbread

Spoonbread is like a firm bread pudding. Talking of bread pudding, had some last night.

Cornbread

Barbarainnc said:
Spoonbread is like a firm bread pudding. Talking of bread pudding, had some last night.

I thought since it had cornbread mix that is what it would taste like. thanks

Made Barbarainnc's Corn Spoonbread recipe last night, using just the one box of Jiffy mix. FANTASTIC! I have finally found a cornbread recipe I LOVE!

The spoonbread is very moist - when it's hot, the texture is similar to a gooey cake. But it's buttery and corny and absolutely great!

Next batch, maybe green chilis and some cheese.

Thanks, Barbara!

Lee

So glad you loved it!!!!!!!!!

It is so easy and good. It would be good with a bowl of chili !!! :) :) :)

Barbara

Try this one from kitchenelf and be prepared to be pushed over the edge.

Cheesy Spoon Bread

Part #1
1 4-oz. can green chilies, chopped
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Part #2 Ingredients:
1 can cream style corn
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup cooking oil

Part #3 Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Method:

Take out seeds and veins from green chilies if using whole ones and chop. Otherwise, just use chopped ones.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #2. - set aside.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #3. - set aside.

Butter a 9 x 9 baking pan. Mix #2 and #3 together. Pour 1/2 of the batter into pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese and all of chilies on top of this layer. Pour rest of batter on top of this and then top with remaining cheese.

Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Cool a bit and serve.

For spicier cornbread add jalapeno peppers, Tobasco or cayenne for a bite. My new favorite hot sauce is Chilula - it has a round wooden cap - if you can find it try it - heat with flavor.

MY NOTES: You can double the recipe and use a 13 x 9 baking dish. I'd say you would need 2 pans so that would be 4 recipes. That's a pretty simple meal - everything in one bowl/plate and a fork!!

mudbug said:
Try this one from kitchenelf and be prepared to be pushed over the edge.

Cheesy Spoon Bread

Part #1
1 4-oz. can green chilies, chopped
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

Part #2 Ingredients:
1 can cream style corn
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup cooking oil

Part #3 Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Method:

Take out seeds and veins from green chilies if using whole ones and chop. Otherwise, just use chopped ones.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #2. - set aside.

Mix together all ingredients in Part #3. - set aside.

Butter a 9 x 9 baking pan. Mix #2 and #3 together. Pour 1/2 of the batter into pan. Sprinkle 1/2 of cheese and all of chilies on top of this layer. Pour rest of batter on top of this and then top with remaining cheese.

Bake in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Cool a bit and serve.

For spicier cornbread add jalapeno peppers, Tobasco or cayenne for a bite. My new favorite hot sauce is Chilula - it has a round wooden cap - if you can find it try it - heat with flavor.

MY NOTES: You can double the recipe and use a 13 x 9 baking dish. I'd say you would need 2 pans so that would be 4 recipes. That's a pretty simple meal - everything in one bowl/plate and a fork!!
That recipe by Kitchenelf is T&T by me and I really like it. Of course I add sugar.:mrgreen:

mudbug said:
Part #2 Ingredients:
1 can cream style corn
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup cooking oil

Hi mudbug, is one can of cream style corn about 250 ml (8 oz) or so, and is there any problems with using just plain corn? If I understand properly, creamed corn is just cooked corn that has had the starch cooked out of it? :whistling

This is my spoonbread reecipe...

Heat 2 cups of milk to boiling,
Add 1 cup cornmeal slowlu stiring contantly until thick
Remove from heat
Add 1 cup milk
2 TBS butter
2 eggs,
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
Pour into a buttered 2 qt souffle dish
Bake 40 min 400°
Serve with lots of butter. Spoonbread is soft.

Swann said:
This is my spoonbread reecipe...

Heat 2 cups of milk to boiling,
Add 1 cup cornmeal slowlu stiring contantly until thick
Remove from heat
Add 1 cup milk
2 TBS butter
2 eggs,
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
Pour into a buttered 2 qt souffle dish
Bake 40 min 400°
Serve with lots of butter. Spoonbread is soft.

Another great recipe. Discous Cooking rules! Thanks Swann.

Back
Top Bottom