"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
Master Chef

Talk About Stuffed French Toast!

The thread about strata inspired an idea. I haven't done it yet as it's a brand new idea, but I think this would work.

Stuffed French Toast Strata:
Combine two eggs with 1/2 cup of milk, 1 tsp. cinamon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 3 tbs. sugar, and 1/2 tsp salt. Set aside.

Fry up your favorite breadfast sausage, crumbled. Fry eight slices of your favorite, thick-sliced bacon, or cut ham steaks into strips.

Shred 1/2 lb. of swiss cheese into a bowl.

Cut the crust off of 8 slices of whole or multi-grain bread.

Lightly greas a bread-loaf pan.

Preheat oven to 350' F.

Dip two slices of bread into the egg mixture and lay out on the bottom of the loaf pan. Spread with an even layer of the sausage and cheese. Layer on more battered bread, and bacon/ham and more cheese. Do it a third time. Finally, place the last two pieces of battered bread on top.

Place all in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Test by inserting a meat thermometer into the center of the loaf. It should read about 175 when done. Remove your stuffed french toast loaf from the oven and invert on a cooling rack. Slice vertically and serve with syrup.

You could also use the same technique and spread fresh fruit, or fruit preserves between the bread layers, and serve with whipped cream.

Velveeta cheese would also taste great in the first version and could be substituted for the swiss cheese.

I think this recipe deserves some playing with as it would be great for serving a family, or group of freinds.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Goodweed, that all sounds delicious. Another nice cheese to use is Gruyere.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Cook

Yuuuum, that's something I would love.

Gonna Try.