"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Proofing is the time we wait while activating the yeast in warm water with sugar or honey. Powdered yeast, unless it's old, is not dead, just dormant. A small amount of warm water (1/2 cup or so for most purposes) plus yeast food (sugars) awakens it and immediately begins to reproduce, doubling about once every hour. A foam will develop on top of the warm water indicating that the yeast is alive and active. If it doesn't foam within an hour, throw it away and buy some fresh yeast.

Proofing also refers to the wait time during the rising(s) of the loaf before baking.
Thanks, Selkie! That helps a lot.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
Master Chef

Whole wheat bread dough, unlike white, needs to be a bit sticky, meaning a little more water in the dough, as was mentioned by the others. Also, oil is what gives baked bread its moistness, as much of the water is evaporated away (not all of course) and so a little extra oil creates a moister end product.

Secret ingredient: Baker's Malt. Malt is added to many commercial breads as it creates a higher, yet stable rise, and uniform texture. You can also add vital wheat gluten to your flour if you desire. The malt isn't the stuff you buy to mix with milk. That won't work. You need real malted barley. I saw it available on line. Malted barley is barley that's been sprouted. Enzymes are produced that start turning the starches into sugar. The same enzymes make the sugars in malt more digestible for the yeast. They grow better, and therefore are better at leavening the bread.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Reeeeeaaaaaallly doubt I can buy baker's malt in the Philippines....but I will look.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #14
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Oh you can probably find it, you might have to do some good hunting though.

Any place that sells fresh made bagels?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Oh you can probably find it, you might have to do some good hunting though.

Any place that sells fresh made bagels?
Dude I can't even buy fresh milk here! It's (almost) impossible. Most Filipino households have no oven, at most they have a toaster oven. They even sell box recipes for things like brownies that are designed for the toaster oven, it's that common. When the locals who work for us see me baking they are endlessly fascinated. Half of them ask me for lessons.

I've scoured the baking goods aisles in every store I've shopped in from Tarlac to Manila, and I can tell you for a fact I've never seen baker's malt in any of those places....something I know because on several occasions I stopped to pick up every single item on the shelf to check and make sure it wasn't what I was looking for. The selection is pretty limited so once you've done that a couple times you know what you're looking at, then you only look at the things you've never seen before.

That doesn't mean nobody ever carries it, it could be one of those things that they get in a shipment and they put it on the shelf until it sells out and they don't restock it for 6 months or more. I'm just saying I haven't seen it yet. If you only know what we had to go through to even buy coffee filters....
Old 02-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #16
Master Chef

Site Administrator

So yer saying you haven't really started looking yet?

It will end being some place that is a three day hike to get into, with you blazing the trail the entire way. Buy it all.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Just to let you know.

I made bread today and I changed up my process a bit. I mixed everything in the mixer except the salt. What I had was a very shaggy mix, let it sit for 30 minutes, and it was much less shaggy. You could see spots where it was really smoothing out. Anyways, I sprinkled the salt on, then ran the kneading cycle.

Oh my. This is one of the best loaves I have made. Lighter, moister, airier, flavorful... yeah, this is a winner.

BTW - it was a 70/30 mix of bread flour to white whole wheat. I might have to experiment a tad and see about upping the ratio a bit.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
Reeeeeaaaaaallly doubt I can buy baker's malt in the Philippines....but I will look.
Here is where I get Malt from. Frank is right it is great. I know you are in the Philippines. But I don't see why you can;t order it. You can also get vital wheat gluten from them. I would get both. Good Luck
Search results > shop items and baking products: King Arthur Flour

Josie
Old 02-27-2011, 02:09 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Here is where I get Malt from. Frank is right it is great. I know you are in the Philippines. But I don't see why you can;t order it. You can also get vital wheat gluten from them. I would get both. Good Luck
Search results > shop items and baking products: King Arthur Flour

Josie
Frank, Frank!!! See I'm not the only one who orders from King Arthur!!!!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Frank, Frank!!! See I'm not the only one who orders from King Arthur!!!!

Guilty as charged

Josie

Tags
bread