"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 02-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Frank, Frank!!! See I'm not the only one who orders from King Arthur!!!!
I should hope you aren't the only one. I keep thinking about it... just haven't... yet.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #22
Executive Chef

KA's 'Lancelot' contains an adequate amount of malted barley flour if used as 25% or more of the other flours used in most bread dough recipes. Only drawback is KA's mail order isn't cheap.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:29 AM   #23
Executive Chef

CM I have never been to the Philippines, I have been to Vietnam and ate the best french bread ect that I have eaten outside France.
I googled French Bread Philippines Le Petit Artisan 0929 486 0234 came up. They should use the Poolish method and as most bakers are helpful they may give you the heads up as to where to buy ingredients, they have a retail outlet in Micky's Deli Makati.

Ps google the Poolish method, over 40 yrs of bread making I always come back to it
Old 02-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
So yer saying you haven't really started looking yet?

It will end being some place that is a three day hike to get into, with you blazing the trail the entire way. Buy it all.
Meant to reply to this, sorry!

You're right, I hadn't started looking yet when I replied.

I'll have you know, though, that yesterday I caused quite a stir on the baking aisle at the local grocery store, picking up and examining all sorts of odd packages to figure out if one of them had been labeled with some local name for what I was really looking for. It struck me how many odd (to me) ingredients there are when shopping abroad. I think next time I go to the store I'll take a camera and show you some of the stranger things I find.....though I'm willing to bet pengyou can beat me, being that they are in China!

I made banana bread today, totally different science, but will be baking bread again in the next few days. I intend to try your technique, Frank. I'll let you know how it works for me.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:48 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Here is where I get Malt from. Frank is right it is great. I know you are in the Philippines. But I don't see why you can;t order it. You can also get vital wheat gluten from them. I would get both. Good Luck
Search results > shop items and baking products: King Arthur Flour

Josie
I appreciate the tip, Josie, but unfortunately mail order is just not a realistic option. I don't want to bore you with details but, to give you an idea....

Shortly after we moved here I had a $20 credit on a website I wanted to use up. I put together about $100 worth of merchandise that I wanted/needed, then proceeded to check-out. The shipping estimate alone was $65. THEN there was the estimated "duties" based on rates normally charged by customs here for in-bound commercially purchased goods. Duties were estimated at roughly $100. So....to review....it was going to cost me $265 to receive $100 worth of merchandise. Needless to say I canceled the order.

Friends and family have sent me some packages since then, but it costs anywhere from $30 to $100 for the shipping alone, and then the customs are assessed after the package arrives before I can claim it, and that's anybody's guess....it's different every time. A friend of mine wrote a book and shipped it to me as a gift, book was free (to me) but it cost him $20 to ship and they charged me $15 to claim it.

And THEN there's the question of whether the package will ever reach me. Customs here are known to open packages and help themselves to anything that looks intriguing.....or to simply ship it to the wrong island to get lost in a back room somewhere never to be heard from again.

The postal system in most countries around the world is nothing as reliable as places like US, Canada, Europe, Australia, Japan....next time you find yourself standing in line feeling aggravated at the postal employees (I've been there), keep that in mind.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:51 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
CM I have never been to the Philippines, I have been to Vietnam and ate the best french bread ect that I have eaten outside France.
I googled French Bread Philippines Le Petit Artisan 0929 486 0234 came up. They should use the Poolish method and as most bakers are helpful they may give you the heads up as to where to buy ingredients, they have a retail outlet in Micky's Deli Makati.

Ps google the Poolish method, over 40 yrs of bread making I always come back to it
Thanks, Bolas! I live a few hours from Makati (it's in Metro Manila) but we get down that way at least once a month. I will check that out. Much appreciated!

Incidentally Makati is where the grocery store is that I can typically find the "hard to find" ingredients. It's the only place I've been here that I could imagine finding this malt, but even then I've been stunned by what sort of things you can't buy there.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #27
Head Chef

Sorry you can't order things and get them shipped reasonably. That stinks.

Josie
Old 02-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #28
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Cory! What if someone sends you a package, do you have to pay duty/customs charges on that?
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
Sorry you can't order things and get them shipped reasonably. That stinks.

Josie
It's okay! I do appreciate your tip and I know you only meant to help. I will continue looking for it here, I could very well be wrong about not finding it here!

It is a little annoying with the expense and hassle of the mail delivery, but at the same time it challenges me to find ways to work with what I have....which is better all around. Support the local economy, learn something new, etc. :-)
Old 02-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Cory! What if someone sends you a package, do you have to pay duty/customs charges on that?
Yup. After my parents visited and heard me moaning about not being able to buy nuts, they sent a "care package" on their return home that included several large bags of nuts. It was appreciated and I do use them, but it cost them more to mail it than the total contents of the box was worth. I only had to pay about $10 customs duties on that box but the shipping was pretty outrageous. I just feel like it's not worth it. *shrug*

Tags
bread