Vidalia Onion Cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've made this many times, but instead of the cornbread mix, I use self-rising corn meal. I haven't used the dill weed but will definitely do that next time. I'm sure that will be a great addition. Thanks.

Your welcome! Had to remove the recipe because of the rules about posting recipes from web sites. Sorry! I forgot about the rule. If you didn't copy the recipe...you can google it and it will come up for you.

Thanks...

Thanks Michael...didn't see the last request until just now...I thought I added the web site, but missed this one.

I would be curious to know what "cornbread mix" Paula was using. Some "cooking books" don't allow brand names .... some recipe writers just "assume" everyone will know what they are using. In this case - if I had to guess ... I would try Martha White yellow cornbread mix.

As for the onions ... if you can't find Vidalia's (only grown in or around Vidalia, Georgia) - try Texas SpringSweet or Texas 1015 SuperSweet - or even Jumbo 1015's (the Jumbo's are really great for onion rings). These onions are low in sulphur and thus taste sweeter. But, even if you can't find any of these sweet beauties, small yellow onions will work in a pinch.

Once an onion is cooked it is just an onion--vidalia or not. It is only raw that they are "sweet".

And I don't "get" the prohibition against printing a recipe. A recipe cannot be copyrighted. The only reason a recipe might be copyrighted if if there is extensive explanation of the technique to fix it, or a history or story of the recipe--a "signature" dish, if you will.

Last edited:
Michael, I don't remember if the Vidalia cornbread was what she was making or not, but she did use the little blue box (in a jif)since I can't say the name in one recipe for cornbread. She makes one using okra and also one using cracklings so it could have been one of those. I don't like either of the last and I don't like the in a jif mix. It has too much sugar for me. I don't like my cornbread to be confused with cake.

Back
Top Bottom