What's your favorite SCONE recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I also have Marlene's (da cook) 'tutorial' on scones - don't have the date, but I'm sure it was quite a while ago - hope she doesn't mind me posting this...

Scone Tutorial - da cook

Ok here it is, darn, wish I already had it on the computer & could just copy & paste, but I have to re-type it all.

SCONE MIXTURE
2 lb. flour
2 T. baking powder
12 oz. butter or margarine

Rub flour, baking powder and margarine in with the paddle (assuming you are using a kitchenaid type of appliance)

Store covered in the fridge.

SAVORY SCONES
1 lb. scone mix
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp. dry mustard
6 oz. shredded cheese
3/4 c. milk or buttermilk.

Variations: Add shredded ham, chopped green onions, tomato concasse.

Combine ingredients. Gently shape mixture into a 1" disk. Cut shapes. Glaze with a light coating of milk. Bake at 375º in convection oven.

SWEET SCONES
1 lb. scone mix
5-6 oz sugar
soaked raisins
chopped nuts
3/4 c. milk or buttermilk

Combine ingredients. Gently shape mixture into a 1" high disk. Cut shapes Glaze with a light coatinf of milk. Bake at 375º in convection oven for 10 minutes.

Sorry this is all in weight measurement, but that is how it usually is in a professional bake shop. Ad as for the convection oven, there is a conversion cant think of it at the moment, just having my first cuppa. 25º lower,I think, but welcome anyone correcting me on that.

----
Can you tell I love scones????

Here's one of my family recipes for treacle scones
BTW - if anyone's interested, the Scottish word scone should be pronounced to rhyme with gone not stone!

TREACLE SCONES

Set oven to Gas mark 7 or 425 degrees F

8 oz SR flour
1 oz caster sugar
Half teaspoon cinnamon
Quarter pint of milk (Imperial)
2 tablespoons black treacle
2 oz butter
pinch of salt

Sift flour with salt and cinnamon into large mixing bowl and rub in the butter. Add sugar and treacle and enough of the milk to make a soft dough.

Turn onto floured board and knead gently (barely at all....!) Dough should be moist. Roll out to about half an inch thickness and using a scone cutter(I use a 2 inch cutter)

Place on well floured baking tray (not oiled.... flour!) and brush the tops with a little milk or beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 mins until risen and golden.

Split, butter and enjoy!

And my family's bog standard ordinary scone recipe. This uses UK Imperial measurements - so check that they are correct for where you live!

SCONES
8 oz plain flour
Half teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2level teaspoon cream of tartar
1.5 oz butter
1.5 oz caster sugar
1 egg beaten lightly and added to enough milk to make up a quarter of a pint of liquid

Make sure you dust the oven tray and scones with flour before baking

Sift the flour, salt, bicarb and cream of tartar. Rub in the butter and stir in sugar.
Pour the egg/milk mixture into dry ingredients - use a fork to mix quickly to a dough - don't handle too much or they will be tough! The resulting dough should be very soft, but not sticky.

Turn out and pat or roll to a half inch thickness (no less or they resemble
biscuits). Use a 2 inch cutter to cut into rounds.

Put them on the well floured (not greased) baking tray and dust the tops with
flour. Put onto the top shelf of the oven at Gas Mark 7, 320c or 425F for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden.

Leave to cool slightly, split and fill with butter and jam.

Its all about the method! There are a lot of scone recipes out there, many of which yield a similar result in the end - to me, its all about the way you cook them. I always use butter, never shortening or margerine - it gives them a beautiful taste and light texture, but most of all a thoroughly home-made smell.

When rubbing the fat into the flour, make sure your hands are cool, and lift the mixture up as you rub to aerate it.

Finally, always brush with milk, eggwash, or something to make them pretty, and cook on high for a very shor time. I cook 2 inch round scones on 210-230 degrees celcius for 6-8 minutes.

I serve them wrapped in a tea towel to stop them going cool and hard, with small bowls of chantilly cream and strawberry jam so people can cut and spread them as required. Good luck with your scones. (Not much beats sharing a good batch of scones with old friends :) )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom