What's your favorite SCONE recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I need to make scones. It's been so long (10 years, I bet) and so I don't remember which recipes are good or not!

Please - I need your "can't go wrong" and "these are the best" recipes you have!

Thank you all so very much!
1118.gif

This is the recipe I have always used, given to me by my grandmother.

2 cups Self Raising flour
1 teaspoon salt
50g butter
200 ml milk.

Heat over to 500 degrees fahrenheit or 260 degrees celsius. Flour your tray (one with high sides like a roasting tin is better than a cookie sheet)

Sift flour and salt. Rub butter in with finger tips, don't don't don't over work it. The butter should be fairly cold. If you let things get too warm, you'll have stone hard scones.

Make a well in the centre pour in the milk. Lightly cut through with a knife. Handling as little as possible very lightly knead the dough and shape into an oblong, cut out your scones either with a glass, a cutter or with a knife.

Lift onto scone tray. unlike cookies, they need to be close together in the pan. Glaze with milk.

Bake 10-12 minutes. Once baked, lift onto wire cooler and cover with a tea towel if you want soft scones.

My grandma used to add chives and grated cheese. If she had cream that had just started going sour, she would use half this and half milk. I have had friends use lemonade or soda water instead of milk, but I haven't tried this.

Scones — Light as a feather©
(My Original Recipe)

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups Self Raising Flour OR All Purpose flour with 8 tsp Baking Powder. (2 tsp per cup of flour OR as per instructions in your part of the world for same quantity of flour.
  • 1/4 tsp Salt
  • 2 tsp Sugar
  • 1/2 cup Water
  • 3/4 cup Milk
  • 1/4 cup Yoghurt
  • 60g Butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:

In a Food Processor (or adapt ingredients to mixer or hand):
Process flour, salt and sugar until mixed through.
Add butter and process about 30 seconds to rub through butter.
Add milk, water, vanilla and yoghurt.
Process for 10-15 seconds or so until mixture comes together.
Remove dough and let stand 5 minutes.
RollingPin.gif
Roll out dough to about 1/2 inch (12.5mm) thick (No need to measure with ruler, he! he!)
Cut out scones with scone or cookie cutter and place close together on greased tray. brush tops with milk.
Bake 210°C for approximately 15-20 mins until browned on top and cooked through. Some recipes suggest a hotter oven but I prefer 210C.
Let cool on rack.
Serve hot or leave until cooled and store in airtight container or freeze.
They can be freshened up later (couple of days) in microwave for a few seconds where they will appear as fresh baked.
Serve with strawberry or raspberry jam, jelly or conserve (depending on local terminology) and lavishings of fresh whipped cream.

Contrary to popular belief of olden day grandmothers, this recipe does not have to be handled with kid gloves, double or tripple sifted, quickly quickly or with the utmost gentleness and with as little handling as possible,supposedly to get the air into the flour,etc etc etc. I think this was perpetrated by the said grannies to boost their egos with the success they were having and to give excuses why others could not make scones!

Clotted cream, food of the gods, but enemy of the hips. One of the top three best foodie things about England! I like your recipe Wayne, my grandma would have turned in her grave at the mention of yoghurt in a scone recipe, but I won't tell if you won't!!!

kyles said:
I like your recipe Wayne, my grandma would have turned in her grave at the mention of yoghurt in a scone recipe, but I won't tell if you won't!!!

I used to use buttermilk instead of yoghurt But I find I don't waste the yoghurt after making the scones, I don't particularly like drinking buttermilk. I know I can use it in other recipes but sometimes it does get wasted. Also if I had neither buttermilk nor yoghurt, I would use 1 tsp vinegar in the milk but allow extra milk for the Buttermilk or yoghurt that is left out.

kyles said:
Clotted cream, food of the gods, but enemy of the hips. One of the top three best foodie things about England! I like your recipe Wayne, my grandma would have turned in her grave at the mention of yoghurt in a scone recipe, but I won't tell if you won't!!!

kyles, is clotted cream the same as Devonshire cream? If yes, then I am with you all the way! Could eat it by the handfuls, but won't.

Clotted cream is a specialty of Devon and Cornwall, so I think it is the same thing. I haven't had it for ages as it's one of those things you can't eat in moderation!

kyles said:
Clotted cream is a specialty of Devon and Cornwall, so I think it is the same thing. I haven't had it for ages as it's one of those things you can't eat in moderation!

You no doubt have heard of Bailey's Irish Cream, well had some Devonshire Cream liquer, given to me. It actually was made with cream from Devon. Well, that was really something else. I sipped it by the teaspoonfull virtually to make it last. I have never seen it in the liquor shops here in Sydney..

Strawberry Scones:

2 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2/4 cups raisins
1/2 cup thick strawberry jam
melted butter
powdered sugar

Heat oven to 425°. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in eggs, milk and raisins, mixing until dry ingredients are just moistened.

With floured hands, pat half of dough into a greased 8-inch round cake pan, pressing and spreading dough evenly. Spread with jam. Top with remaining dough. With sharp knife, cut lightly through dough, making 6 pie-shaped wedges. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Bake for 20-25 min, or until golden brown. Serve with warm butter.

Double Chocolate Cake Scones:

3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
1 tbsp grated orange peel
1/4 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 450°. Grease a large cookie sheet. Stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl to mix well. Use a pastry blender or two knives to cut in the butter until coarse crumbs form. Beat the eggs and milk in a small bowl with a wire ehisk or a fork; when thoroughly blended, stir, along with 1/2 cup of the mini chocolate chips and the orange peel into the flour mixture just until blended.

Shape the dough with lightly floured hands into an 8-inch round on the prepared cookie sheet; dust with flour. Score the top of the dough into 8 wedges with a sharp knife. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Cool completely on a wire rack. Meanwhile, stir the remaining 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips and the white chocolate chips in seperate small, heavy saucepans over very low heat until melted and smooth.

Drizzle each chocolate from the tip of of spoon in random lines over the top of the scones. Let stand for 15 minutes to set the chocolate. Cut the scones into wedges along the score lines. Makes 8 scones.

I've been wanting to make scones here, but we don't have self-raising flour and the baking powder is single-action, not double. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do in this case? Can you compensate with something else? Thanks!

I call them DROP BISCUITS, I make them alot:

6 3/4 cup Heckers Flour
1 tbs Kosher Salt
3 tbs sugar
3 tbs plus 2 tsp baking powder
2 sticks plus 5 tbs butter
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 tbs dry currants (optional)

Oven 425.
Mix with wire wisk flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Mix with hands the butter or a pastry blender into the flour mix till its crumbly. Add buttermilk, DO NOT OVERMIX. Pick up by palmfuls, drop onto cookie sheet, they should look like an eye shaped biscuit., oval. Brush tops with 1 egg and some cream mixed.
Bake 10-12 minutes. Serve with butter and jelly.

velochic said:
I've been wanting to make scones here, but we don't have self-raising flour and the baking powder is single-action, not double. Does anyone have any thoughts on what to do in this case? Can you compensate with something else? Thanks!

This is the recipe for Baking Powder that we use to substitute for commercial Baking Powder.

Combine two parts cream of tartar plus one part baking soda (Bicarbonate of Soda) plus one part cornstarch.

I am resurrecting this thread with a recipe that I adore and is so simple.

Lemonade and Cream Scones

1cup Cream
1can Lemonade - or can use 355ml if you have a large bottle
1/2tsp salt
4 1/2cup Self-raising Flour

(if making sweet scones add 2 Tbsp sugar to the mix)

Mix the cream, lemonade & salt together until just combined. Add the sifted flour into the mix and fold through until just combined. Tip the mixture out onto a floured surface and knead lightly (the less you work this dough the lighter the scone). Cut the mixture into 8 portions place close together on a floured tray, brush the scones with milk and allow to rest 10 minutes then bake @ 180C until cooked. ( around 15 minutes, light golden brown. Pull one apart gently and check)

If you like dates, use gingerbeer instead of lemonade ( and we mean 7 Up type here..lol) and add chopped dates before you mix dough. ( Sultanas are nice also) If wanting a savoury scone, use soda water, no sugar and increase salt to 1 tsp. Add cheese, scallions, capsicum, ham, cayenne or chilli, parsley et al. What ever you fancy.
Also nice as a roll. Pat dough out onto a floured surface. Cover with a mix of caster sugar and cinammon, roll up and slice. Bake as described.

If you love a soft scone, cover when out of oven with a clean tea cloth.

The secret to this recipe is to handle as little as possible. Buts its still pretty failsafe! :)

I have Lyn's scone recipe and it's so good! I just looked at the recipe again and I got it Aug 06 2002!!

Hope you don't mind Lyn, but I'll add you notes on the recipe I have for these scones -

"For anyone who has not tasted these scones, please give them a try. I will not use any other recipe for scones, and Tricia agrees!! Also, you can add what you wish. Sometimes I add succulent fresh dates, other times some good tasty cheese with a little corn, ham and scallion. They are not the cheapest scones to make but well worth the extra cost as far as I am concerned.
As I am not sure as to the availability of self raising flour in the rest of the world, I have added the equivalent in regular flour and baking powder. However, S/R flour makes the best scones."

Don't know if I ever thanked you for the recipe Lyn!! thank you... ;)

Back
Top Bottom