Whole Wheat Cornbread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milford

Cook
Trying to make whole wheat cornbread.

2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1-1/2 cups corn meal
1 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
2 Tb sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
450F , 25 min.

Flavor and crunchiness good. But its too dry. I get crumbs cutting it, and a sawdust texture in my mouth. Any changes I can make that that would make this more moist and tender?

Thanks for any help. :)

My, well actually King Arthur Flours, recipe calls for;

2 C. corn meal
1 C ww pastry flour
1 C. all purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 C. buttermilk
1/4 C. honey
2 large eggs
1 stick butter, melted
1 T. grease for pan

This recipe uses only 2 t. baking powder, uses honey (which is hygroscopic), and uses a whole stick of butter. I made a note that I tried to sub 1 cup ww flour for the all purpose flour and I didn't like it. This recipe as written is moist and delicious.

Thanks. I was trying to stay away from honey. Tried it once, got an odd "Old" flavor to the cornbread. But I'll try it again if it helps.

Notice the recipe Beth posted also has twice as much fat (butter) as your recipe. That will make a difference in the moisture level.

I've started making cornbread with only masa harina - no cornmeal or wheat flour at all. It's nice and moist and the corn flavor is much stronger. I like it better.

Notice the recipe Beth posted also has twice as much fat (butter) as your recipe. That will make a difference in the moisture level.
Beth's recipe also has 2 total cups of flour, while yours has 2 1/2 cups. That too will contribute to a drier result.
Edit: Never mind, I did the math wrong. Can't delete this in the app.

Last edited:
Beth's recipe also has 2 total cups of flour, while yours has 2 1/2 cups. That too will contribute to a drier result.
Edit: Never mind, I did the math wrong. Can't delete this in the app.

I have 1-1/2 cups Cornmeal + 1 cup Wheat Flour = 2-1/2 cups total flour.

Beths has 2 cups Cornmeal + 1 cup Wheat Pastry flour + 1 cup A.P. flour = 4 cups total flour.

1/4 cup oil to 1/2 cup butter is the same ratio.

Last edited:
Notice Beths recipe has twice as much flour as mine.

This recipe makes a large cornbread. The batter will not fit into a 9 inch square baking pan.

I use the 3 inch deep cast iron pan in the foreground. The skillet right behind it is a normal skillet.

Attachments

• DSCN5671.jpg
    DSCN5671.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom