Dough - buy it or make it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do you make your own dough or buy it at the store?

• Make it

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Buy it

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

machx

Assistant Cook
I'm curious what everyone does as far as dough, does everyone buy it at the store or make it from flour yeast, etc?

I'm talking dough for pizza, bread, whatever :)

Thanks,

Matt

I make it every once in a while (not often enough for HH), but because I work most days it's easier to buy bread already made - there's some pretty good breads out there these days. And I don't plan on making any puff pastry from scractch anytime soon.

For bread, I either make it myself or buy it already made. Commercially made bread dough is not very good, IMO.

Do you use a bread machine? I heard of baking bread in a cast iron pan and that sounded delicious

hiya, machx - you didn't ask me, but I can tell you that making cornbread in a CI skillet is VERY delicious!

That sounds delicious... I can imagine it being soft inside and crusty outside.... is it dinner time yet??? lol

do you have a recipe or general gist of how you do it? Thanks!

Do you use a bread machine? I heard of baking bread in a cast iron pan and that sounded delicious

No. I make it either totally by hand or with my Kitchenaid mixer or food processor.

There are several no-kead bread recipes out there that rae foolproof and excellent.

I bake most of my bread in a Le Creuset french oven -- coated cast iron.

That sounds delicious... I can imagine it being soft inside and crusty outside.... is it dinner time yet??? lol

do you have a recipe or general gist of how you do it? Thanks!

it's pretty yummy. I make it various ways - sometimes from scratch (read the instructions on the corn meal bag) and sometimes using the Jiffy mix, which is perfectly acceptable stuff, IMO. My little trick is to preheat the skillet in the oven with some bacon grease in it - about a tablespoon or so - to coat the bottom of the skillet before you put the batter in.

long time bread baker here, have made it about every way known to man/woman....now days use the bread machine, oven, and the no knead method, usually with all whole wheat flour

it's pretty yummy. I make it various ways - sometimes from scratch (read the instructions on the corn meal bag) and sometimes using the Jiffy mix, which is perfectly acceptable stuff, IMO. My little trick is to preheat the skillet in the oven with some bacon grease in it - about a tablespoon or so - to coat the bottom of the skillet before you put the batter in.

I have to pick up some bacon soon... My most recent thing was I tossed all my teflon and bought a cast iron skillet, cast iron griddle, and cast iron dutch oven. Love them! This sounds like another great use for them

I make pizza dough all the time. Actually, I also make bread dough all the time, and they CAN be interchangeable.

In fact, on Sunday I made a batch of multigrain bread dough and divided it into 2/3 for a large loaf, and 1/3 for a 14-inch pizza crust.

The more often you make bread dough, the easier it becomes to do, and if you have a large Cuisinart food processor, you can process up to 7 cups of flour at a time into dough, and it takes just a couple of minutes to have the dough ready to rise. It's especially helpful for folks who have arthritis in their hands, or carpal tunnel.

I make pizza dough but not bread dough. I seem to never get the texture right for bread so gave up. Used to have a bread machine but gave it to my sister when she wanted one and I had stopped using it.

I don't really bake bread. For Pizza I buy frozen pizza dough, I think it calls Rohds or something. It's not bad. Wish I had simple recipe to make it my self.

ChefJune, care to share some dough recipes, especially the one for the Cuisinart, please?

I don't really bake bread. For Pizza I buy frozen pizza dough, I think it calls Rohds or something. It's not bad. Wish I had simple recipe to make it my self.

ChefJune, care to share some dough recipes, especially the one for the Cuisinart, please?

Have you tried the New York Times bread recipe? No kneading. It takes a while but is very, very easy and makes excellent bread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

Last edited:
Charlie, this is a link to the current pizza dough recipe I use. It is a no-knead recipe, start it one afternoon and bake off two pizzas the next day...wonderful crusts....you can do it. The recipe calls for 3 cups of flour, I use 1 Cup white, whole wheat and semolina flour

No Knead Pizza Dough Recipe - Easiest No Knead Pizza Dough Recipe

I see a note I made, do not cover bowl of dough with a towel, use plastic to keep the dough from drying out.

Thank you ladies.

My main problem is lack of time. I work crazy hours and when I am at home and am cooking I will spen time making meat dishes. I will have to try. Anpther problem with 4 kids at home, I never know what they will eat. I have couple of very picky eaters. And if I start making pizza today, it doesn't mean that they will eat it tomorow.

Thank you again.

i make it and i buy it. depends on the mood i am in. it is hard for me to make it as i am only baking for myself. hate to use all the indg. to end up throwing part of it away.

I make my own bread dough. I make 2 loaves a week at a cost of about 50 cents a loaf, compared to $3.00 a loaf for store bought. Plus, my bread tastes much better than the store bought and doesn't have any of the additives or preservatives.

Back
Top Bottom