"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Unleavened Breads

Old 03-31-2009, 11:47 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Oh please~ someone please help me. I've made them for the first time tonight, and while they tasted great, they were quite thick to me. I kept thinking pita bread. HD loved them, so I'd like to keep at it. I let them rest, but when I had them to the right size, and slapped them in the pan, they'd loose and inch I swear! What am I doing wrong? How do I get them thin, and so they don't loose an inch between counter and frying pan......I'm very frusterated....maybe a tortilla press? any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #22
Head Chef

In an earlier post, someone said that the baking powder causes them to puff up a bit. They recommended leaving it out to make a thinner tortilla. I think a tortilla press would be handy.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Very few Latinos make their own flour tortillas. First, because they usually eat corn tortillas, not flour tortillas and secondly, because flour tortillas are difficult to make at home. Usually the ones from the store are better and they're cheap, so why bother.

On the other hand, homemade corn tortillas are infinitely better than store bought and are relatively easy to make so many Latinos make their own.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:24 AM   #24
Head Chef

In this part of Mexico, corn tortillas are much more common than flour ones, and they are made in a press, made from either metal or wood. I have two tortilla presses, but don't make them often, because fresh tortillas are so plentiful. Every corner store has a plastic cooler just inside the door that is full of warm, fresh tortillas, either half kilo or full kilo, wrapped in paper. A kilo (2.2 pounds) costs about 9 pesos (around 60 cents US). They are delivered by the tortilleria twice a day - the delivery guy just switches out the coolers. Very clever. You usually get flour tortillas when you order quesadillas in a restauarant, but at a regular taco stand, a "quesadilla" is just a taco with cheese in it, and you get a corn tortilla. A woman who lives down the street from us makes and sells flour tortillas that are heavenly. They are so thin you can see light through them. I know she doesn't use lard because she is a vegetarian, so she must use vegetable shortening. But they are so good. Flour tortillas are never made in a press - they are rolled out. She is a really old woman - I don't know how she gets them so thin....I make them occasionally, but I just can't get them thin enough, either.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:03 AM   #25
Master Chef

we prefer both corn and flour tortillas........if you're trying to make flour ones from scratch (not necessary in Houston, TX, as they are readily available (still hot on the shelves but UNavailable on the steppes of KZ) I prefer to make mine with lard............you can roll them as thin as you want them and the dough is easy to work with........my tortilla press from"hecho en Mexico" broke the 2nd time I used it and I've been using a rolling pin ever since..........I've also made fat-free flour tortillas but they do take more elbow work to render thin before puffing up.......good luck with your tortillas.......we use them not only for Mexican dishes but for a bunch of other sandwiches and dishes as well.......
Old 04-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Question

I recently started making tortillas because I rendered my own lard.

Anyway, I would love to make a big batch and freeze them. I was wondering if freezing them as balls would be better than freezing them rolled out. What do you all think?

Cheers,
Old 04-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #27
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Asmodean Send a message via Skype™ to Asmodean
Last time I made tortillas I made corn ones. Went over very well...
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #28
Head Chef

Whole milk, my experience is that flour tortillas (already made) freeze very well. Corn tortillas, however, tend to dry out and crumble when frozen.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by whole milk View Post
I recently started making tortillas because I rendered my own lard.

Anyway, I would love to make a big batch and freeze them. I was wondering if freezing them as balls would be better than freezing them rolled out. What do you all think?

Cheers,
in my opinion and very limited freezer space I would suggest the balls in a freezer bag is your best option....if you know that you have company, family, "outlaws" coming over then you might want to roll them out ahead of time if you can't get them hot off the shelves........
Old 04-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #30
Senior Cook

Thanks! Freezer space IS the issue. Also time and quantity. For me, it'd be better to take out two or three in the morning then roll them out for supper. The easier they are to get at, the sooner they get eaten.

@ the question about rolling them thin, I've never had a problem BUT when I want tortillas to be paper thin I put them between two sheets of plastic wrap or oven paper and add an extra 'push' at the end. You have to be careful in handling them. Too much water and they stick, so do a test one first.