Seedy Crackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I got this recipe here: Grove kiks Alletiders Kogebog in Danish. Google translate screws up the measurement translation. It translates "bageplade" to "griddle", but it should be "baking sheet". It also thinks that crackers are called biscuits in English. I'm not sure they aren't in England. "Grove" means coarse.

Okay my adaptation:

Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F

• 125 grams (~3/4 cup) sesame seeds or half sesame and half flax seeds
  • 55 grams (~3/8 cup) oat meal
  • 55 grams (~3/8 cup) wheat flour
  • 55 grams (~3/8 cup) rye flour
  • 125 ml (~1/2 cup+ 1/2 Tblsp) water
  • 50 ml (~3 Tblsp + 1 tsp) oil
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt

Mix the dry ingredients.
Stir in the oil and water.

Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper, to the size of a cookie sheet.
Move the parchment and dough onto cookie sheet.
Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
Score the dough into the size and shape of crackers that you want.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden or the edges start to darken.

It's probably a good idea to turn the cookie sheet part way through baking.

I used only sesame seeds because I didn't have any flax seeds. I used haed whole grain wheat flour, but AP should work.

These are really yummy.

Thank you will give them a try during the next week. I'm up to my ears making enchilladas for tomorrows Ma's Sunday:LOL: Here is my recipe Preheat oven to 350 mix together 1/2 lb. butter and 1 lb. ofgrated cheddar,add 1 tea. salt and 1/4 tea cayenne.Blend in 2 cups flour and2 cups rice krispies Form into balls the size of walnuts place on ungreased baking sheet flatten each ball with a fork dipped in water. Refrigerate til chilled bake for 10-12 min Do not brown serve warm or store in an tightly covered tin. If you can manage to get them in one:LOL:
kades

Thanks for the sesame cracker recipe. It sounds like a good substitute for some of Ryvita's crispbreads. I like the Ryvitas but they are a bit expensive and usually get stale before I can finish the pack.

Thanks for the sesame cracker recipe. It sounds like a good substitute for some of Ryvita's crispbreads. I like the Ryvitas but they are a bit expensive and usually get stale before I can finish the pack.

I'm a Ryvita fan too. I figure the price is "not too expensive to use, but too expensive to waste". Mine have never gone stale. I probably go through 2 or 3 packs a month. :LOL: At least they aren't as pricey as Rye Crisp or Wasa.

There are probably too many seeds to make a good substitute for Ryvita - nothing a little tweaking of the recipe couldn't fix.

I'm going to try one or more of the recipes for knækbrød (Rye Crisp style crisp bread) on that cooking site. I'll post any that turn out well. Probably not until May.

Since I live alone, crackers don't get eaten up right away. Once opened, I transfer the rest into a zip baggie. I've had saltines stay crisp for nearly a year. (I forgot I had them.)

I got this recipe here: Grove kiks Alletiders Kogebog in Danish. Google translate screws up the measurement translation. It translates "bageplade" to "griddle", but it should be "baking sheet". It also thinks that crackers are called biscuits in English. I'm not sure they aren't in England. "Grove" means coarse.

Okay my adaptation:

Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F

• 125 grams (~3/4 cup) sesame seeds or half sesame and half flax seeds
  • 55 grams (~3/8 cup) oat meal
  • 55 grams (~3/8 cup) wheat flour
  • 55 grams (~3/8 cup) rye flour
  • 125 ml (~1/2 cup+ 1/2 Tblsp) water
  • 50 ml (~3 Tblsp + 1 tsp) oil
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
Mix the dry ingredients.
Stir in the oil and water.

Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment paper, to the size of a cookie sheet.
Move the parchment and dough onto cookie sheet.
Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
Score the dough into the size and shape of crackers that you want.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden or the edges start to darken.

It's probably a good idea to turn the cookie sheet part way through baking.

I used only sesame seeds because I didn't have any flax seeds. I used haed whole grain wheat flour, but AP should work.

These are really yummy.
Thank you I am anxious to try them. Also, thanks for the conversion from metric to cups..very helpful.:)

Thank you I am anxious to try them. Also, thanks for the conversion from metric to cups..very helpful.:)

They actually gave the measurements in decilitres! Most European recipes use grams for dry ingredients. The only things I have that show litres, etc. are my glass measuring cups that have US cups, etc on the other side. What a nuisance to measure dry ingredients that way! So, I weighed them after measuring so I won't have to do that again. I'll just weigh them. I know some of the people here can measure stuff in grams (lots of diabetics need to have a scale and modern ones weigh in metric and US.

I use Google calculator and get the same results:

1 deciliter = 0.422 675 283 77 cup [US]

1 deciliter = 6.762 804 540 5 Tablespoon [US]

That's why I did my own conversion to measurements that are reasonable with the dry measuring cups most of us have.

I verified that I was in the ball park.

They sound yummy, but they are a lot more effort than my recipe. Of course, I don't know that they aren't worth the extra effort.

They were really good! I thought they were worth it, I read the reviews before I made them and they were easy to roll out with my pasta machine.:)

Back
Top Bottom