Why does cracker dough need kneading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
I have only used one recipe to make crakers, and it calls for 10 minutes of kneading by hand or 5 minutes by mixer. But I am looking for more recipes and none of them call for kneading the dough, just stirring the ingredients together. So I am wondering why I choose the only recipe that calls for a lot of kneading:LOL:, and if cracker dough really needs kneading? And if it does need kneading, why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Crispy Crackers

2 Cups All Purpose Flour
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 Olive Oil or Softened Butter
1/2 Cup Water, plus more is needed
1/4 Cup sesame Seeds (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl mix the flour and salt, then add the oil or butter and water. Blend the ingredients, adding more water as needed to make a soft dough.
2. Roll the dough onto a floured surface until it has reached a thickness of no more than 1/4 inch (1/8-3/16 inch prefered). If the dough is thicker than 1/4 inch, the crackers won't be as crisp and require extended baking time.
3. Transfer the dough to an ungreased baking sheet and lightly score every 2 inches using a knife. DON'T cut all of the way through. Use a fork to lightly add holes to the top of each cracker. (The holes are necessary for the baking process.)
4. Sprinkle the crackers with salt and sesame seeds, then bake until crisp for 15-20 minutes.

Yields 36 crackers.

Last edited:
Thanks Selkie, your recipe is almost identical to the one I have been using:)

here is a link to my TNT recipe

Lip Smackin' Snackin' Crackers

it calls for all whole wheat flour and I use whole wheat hard/bread flour. Dh loves these crackers and I am trying to determine if I can make them without kneading..

Beth and Bucky, lol.

I bought some saltines, they turn to paste in my mouth and then convert to glucose........white flour. I bought some really nice grainy crackers, wish I knew what they were. Do you think I could use rye and wheat flour with white flour to get a more grainy cracker? Anyone have tips for this?

Beth and Bucky, lol.

I bought some saltines, they turn to paste in my mouth and then convert to glucose........white flour. I bought some really nice grainy crackers, wish I knew what they were. Do you think I could use rye and wheat flour with white flour to get a more grainy cracker? Anyone have tips for this?

I know that paste. We get whole grain saltines. Not all stores carry them, but lots do.

Beth and Bucky, lol.

Here's a recipe for some crackers that have none of that "turn to paste in my mouth" effect: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f155/seedy-crackers-71645.html#post990963. It has rye, wheat, oats, and seeds. I just made it for the first time. Turned out really yummy.

Back
Top Bottom