100% Sourdough Rye Vollkornbrot (without active dry yeast??)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawnn

Senior Cook
caraway seed
coriander ground
cracked rye seeds or rolled
course ground rye flour
barley flour?
spelt seed?
einkorn seed?
Kamut?
Flax seed!

Is it possible to make 100% sourdough vollkornbrot without active dry yeast?
I want to make it with addition of seeds and cracked rye seed. And proofing the dough at 85ºf to 90ºf (29.4ºc to 32.2ºc) I know I twould be very tricky to get the sour that active....but I think it can be done.

Of course it is possible. All you need is starter. You can buy one or you can make one yourself.

Dont overdo the flaxseeds, that isnt healthy. Rye sourdough can be proofed at 18 C with no problems, it just takes longer. Trust me, we Swedes has been making rye sourdoughs for a long time and it wasnt that warm in the house back then.

My favorite bread takes 2- 4 hours to rise.

Dont overdo the flaxseeds, that isnt healthy. Rye sourdough can be proofed at 18 C with no problems, it just takes longer. Trust me, we Swedes has been making rye sourdoughs for a long time and it wasnt that warm in the house back then.

My favorite bread takes 2- 4 hours to rise.
:ROFLMAO: I hadn't thought of that, but you make a good point.

oh sure I have an excellent starter....the other day it got so warm that it started growing mold, so I removed the top laywer and added more flour to slow it down. Then I decided that I should turn it into a rye sour at least for the summer because rye is more heat resistant as far as growing mold. It foamed a lot at first, but after the initial rye it does not foam as much, but still sour.

Today I put more rye flour in it. I am doing pan bread for now because my oven does not work. Gotta fix it.

Just wondering how soft I can get cracked rye seed in a bread....??? I may have to cook it a little before the the dough because my teeth are gone....and false teeth are way too flimsy.

Of course it is possible. All you need is starter. You can buy one or you can make one yourself.

If the sourdough grows mold you should discard it and make a new one, the spoors are still in there. I can give a nice rye bread dough minus mold.

In my 1890 cookbook it even says if the sourdough get mold throw it out, it isnt healthy, because a healthy sourdough dont grown mold. In the same book it also says to shake out the maggots from the dried and salted meat before eating it. So I guess they know their stuff.

ok I will throw it out to the compost, it did smell a bit badly.

It took me a while to figure out how to make a bubblie pan-bread (injera) this is with rye sour.

Note the jar, some people think that these lids will keep the gas in until it explodes. But I have fermented so much KimChi in them for the last couple years, and nothing can out gas more than 3 liters of fermenting vegitibles.
However I do need a larger jar for my sour, because liquid will come out under the rubber gasket.

Over night the temerature droped down to 60f from about 70f so did the level of foaming in the jar. It dropped about and inch. It may take a couple days to get warm enough to see if it rises again.

rye%2Bsour%2Bpan%2Bbread.JPG

rye%2Bsour%2Bbubbling.JPG

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom