Amish Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
I made ahmish bread about 2 months ago.
It takes a very long time.
I used a 10 day recipe.
The problem I had was making it sweet enough. I was told you have to use pudding to make it nice and sweet. But when I used pudding it wasn't enough. And when i tried more on another loaf it caved in a bit in the middle. Anybody know why?
Even though it caved in, it still tasted great, but the recipe makes so much ahmish bread I couldn't finish it all.
I don't think I'll make it again for a while.

here is the recipe

AMISH BREAD
This is an old Amish recipe. Due to the lack of refrigeration they used these techniques in preparing bread. There is something in the enzyme action of the starter liquid that what you add over 10 days keeps it from spoiling. This bread is sweet. Microwaving baked bread for a few seconds enhances flavor.
Day 1: Pour starter into large mixing bowl with loose lid or Saran Wrap.
Day 2, 3, 4: Stir once a day.
Day 5: Add 1 cup milk, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup sugar and stir with mixer.
Day 6, 7, 8, 9: Stir once each day.
Day 10: Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk and 1 cup sugar. Stir with mixer. Take out 3 cups of starter and put one cup into each of three container. Give two cups to friends with these instructions. Keep the third cup for yourself to start again.
With the remaining starter add 2/3 cup oil, 3 eggs, 2 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
Mix with electric mixer. Bake in greased bundt pan or 2 loaf pans at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
NOTE: You can add 1 cup apples, raisins, nuts, bananas or dried fruit. May be frosted when cooled.

SOURDOUGH STARTER:
1 pkg. dry yeast
2 1/2 c. warm water
2 c. sifted flour
1 tbsp. sugar
To make the starter, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup water. Then stir in the rest of ingredients.
Follow directions of stirring and adding ingredients for 10 days as described in recipe for Amish Bread.

Sounds more like a cake than a bread, but begun with a sourdough starter. You know, you can save some of the starter in the fridg, it saves time for the next time.

i know
the yeast keeps the other stuff from rotting :)

my parents would yell at me for it though
i tried giving some away
it went to waste and i still had too much
hahah

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom