"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs

Old 08-29-2006, 11:12 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Amish Friendship Bread?

Maybe I have the name wrong, can't remember the exact name. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you have done this. It's a passed around recipe that you make a variety of breads out of. It starts with a starter piece, after X days you add a few ingredients, after X days a few more, then after a few more days you separate it and bake a portion passing a portion of the starter bread on to a friend. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Old 08-29-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Head Chef

I haven't made this is sooo long!!! I do have quite a few recipes for this if you should want them.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunka
I haven't made this is sooo long!!! I do have quite a few recipes for this if you should want them.
I'm wondering if you can make the starter yourself or does it have to be given to you.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Executive Chef

That was passed around a few years ago until we all got tired of it. It is good, but too rich to eat often. It's a bit like a huge crop of zuchinni - people start to move away if they see you coming with starter to share.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
That was passed around a few years ago until we all got tired of it. It is good, but too rich to eat often. It's a bit like a huge crop of zuchinni - people start to move away if they see you coming with starter to share.
My mom died 9 years ago, that was the last time I had it until last summer and all I got was the bread, my aunt didn't have any starter. My daughter was interested in this and is just starting to get interested in cooking, so we try not to discourage it.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
Head Chef

I make it ALL the time, except when it's hot out (oven...)...

I have the recipes for both starter and bread if you want it!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
Master Chef

Sephora,

What you are probably asking for is a recipe for a sourdough starter and yes, you can start one from scratch (just google away) or you can buy a sourdough starter package at a specialty store. I think it's best to make up a sourdough starter and then you can use it in other recipes besides Amish Friendship bread-----savory breads, biscuits, rolls, pancakes--the recipes are endless. Good luck!!
Old 09-13-2006, 09:22 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
ive made it twice
its great!
you can easily find a recipe on google

dont forget to add pudding mix!
ill tell you that right now
Old 09-13-2006, 09:30 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

Here's Angie's recipe:

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

Ingredients:
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110F)
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups white sugar
3 cups warm milk (110F)
Directions:
Before beginning, please remember: Do not use metal utensils. Do not refrigerate. The starter takes 10 days to ferment.

Day 1:
In a small bowl, soften yeast in warm water for about 10 minutes. Stir well. In a 2 quart glass or ceramic container, combine 1 cup sifted flour and 1 cup sugar. Mix thoroughly or flour will lump when milk is added. Slowly stir in warm milk and dissolved yeast mixture. Cover tightly with lid or plastic wrap. The mixture will get bubbly. Consider this Day 1 of the cycle.

Day 2:
Stir with wooden or plastic spoon

Day 3:

Day 4:

Day 5:
Stir with wooden or plastic spoon. Add 1 cup sifted flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup warm milk; stir.

Day 6:

Day 7:

Day 8:

Day 9:

Day 10:
Stir with wooden or plastic spoon. Add 1 cup sifted flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup warm milk and stir. Remove 1 cup to make your first loaf of bread. Give 1 cup to a friend with this recipe and your favorite Friendship Bread recipe. Use the remaining cup to begin the 10 day process over again. You can freeze the remaining cup for later use. Frozen starter takes at least 3 hours at room temperature to thaw before use. Do not thaw starter in microwave.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 AM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thank you for posting that Joani. A friend gave me some friendship bread starter a few years ago. I did everything exactly the way I was supposed to, and it was almost ready to use. Then "tragedy" struck! The one I had been given was in a large zipper bag. I had put the bag up on the microwave cart because it was the only place I had to put it right then. The bag fell over and popped open. I lost my starter and had quite a mess to clean up! I'm going to have to start my own now that I have the starter recipe. I have always wanted to try this.

Barbara