Amish Friendship Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDP

Senior Cook
Has anyone ever had or made this before. I just tried it and was given a "baby" ( a starter for it). This is a 10 day process that begins with the stater.
First 5 days you let it sit in a ziploc bag and squeeze it several times and also burp the bag of air.

Day 6 Add 1 C. each milk, flour and sugar and sqeeze bag several times

Day 7-9 same as 1-5

Day 10 Add 1 C milk, sugar, flour and mix with a wooden spoon.

Make 3 1C individual bags of mix ( new starters) or babies.

With remaining 1 C add: ( The recipe says not to use a metal bowl and to only use a wooden spoon)

1c Veg oil
3 large eggs
2t cinnamon
2C flour
1 C sugar
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1 large box instant vanilla pudding

Add nuts, raisins or anything else you would like at this time.

In two well greased bread pans sprinkle with a mix of 1 t cinniamon and 3 T sugar. Pour in batter and bake at 325 for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.

Then give the babies away to your friends with the directions. You could also always keep one for yourself to keep it going.

As for starting it yourself I would assume you would begin with 1/3 C each milk, flour and sugar.

Merry Christmas,

JDP

A very nice man at work would bring loaves of this stuff in... made by his wife... and it was oh so good and I always looked forward to it!!!! He has since retired and we never get to have any anymore... maybe I should take over the tradition???

it sounds Fascinating!

when you say a "starter" though, is that like a Sour Dough starter?

The starter is a yeast based one. This is a very old recipe and is called friendship because you really have to feed it often and it encourages you to give it away a lot.
Here are a lot of recipes. and if you google there are many also. you can make lots of different things with it.
Cooks.com - Recipes - Amish Friendship Bread

YT2095 said:

I had a feeling it was similar to a sourdough starter (I love that stuff!).

It is similar to a sour dough starter but this is a sweet bread similar to a banana bread. I don't know if it is originally a yeast based starter or if the bacteria is in the milk although our milk is pasturized.

Perplexing but delcious. I have my baby (starter) going and will be making it and passing it on this Friday. I hope it's a girl their normally sweeter.

Merry Christmas,

JDP

Candocook said:
The starter is a yeast based one. This is a very old recipe and is called friendship because you really have to feed it often and it encourages you to give it away a lot.
Here are a lot of recipes. and if you google there are many also. you can make lots of different things with it.
Cooks.com - Recipes - Amish Friendship Bread

Thanks Cando,
The recipe is right at that site. The starter has no yeast though simply milk, flour and sugar. The recipe I have is a little different as it calls for a box of vanilla pudding mix to be added and dusing the pan with with cinnamon and sugar.

Merry Christmas,

JDP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom