"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2018, 05:46 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Another Sourdough Newbie, and I Need Help!

I want to make sourdough. I want to make it from scratch. There is so much conflicting information out there for growing a starter that I need to medicate myself!

I finally chose a recipe that was 50g of flour and 50g of water, the flour divided 35g rye or whole wheat, 15g AP. And adding the same amount every day for five days. From then remove and replace half every day, or store in the fridge and feed once a week. Sounds easy enough, but itís dry. Very dry. Like the surface of Mars dry. And on day three, thereís no sign of life whatsoever.

Other starter recipes are confusing. I really need a simple, step-by-step instruction, with precise directions and a feeding schedule that is reasonable, both in time and in amounts of flour (discarding half and adding more is stressing me out; I see dollars going down the garbage disposal! But I can deal with it if the amounts are a bit smaller).

Can some sourdough maven be kind enough to mentor me a bit? I canít pay you, and Iíll probably have lots of questions. I need instruction from someone I can connect with - you canít ask a website questions! (Well, you can here. Thatís why I love this forum!) Even a link to site with beginnerís instructions for making a starter would be helpful.

The more often I fail, the more determined I become to succeed. (Thatís probably a famous quote, or a paraphrase of one. But I donít know who.)

Old 03-19-2018, 07:01 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

You are remembering to add the 50g of water, too?

Old 03-19-2018, 07:27 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
You are remembering to add the 50g of water, too?
Yes! Can I increase the hydration without killing the starter?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:50 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

yes, just make sure it is lukewarm. My starter is more like pancake batter, I started out with plenty of liquid.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Cook

Do you know about this?...

Carl Griffith 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Page

I didn't do it, and you can't prove it!
anonymous
milford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I don't know the exact science behind making a starter, I just do and have done it for about 50 years. It comes automatically to me at this point. Read the method and tips at this King Arthur Flour link: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...starter-recipe. Best online primer I have read and tips on what to do with the discarded starter are included.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #7
Master Chef

you start with equal amounts of flour and water, starting next day you take half of the mixture out. Say you started 50-50. Take 50 out and then add 50 flour and 50 water. Then every day you keep doing the fallowing: 50 gr starter, 50 gram flour, 50 gr water. Discard what's left of the starter and put the new mixture in. Or discard first leaving 50 gr in the jar/container and then add fresh water and flour. I found this a bit harder to do, because you can't get exact amount of what is left in the jar. So what I do is bit longer, but more exact.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Well, just based on whey, or cheese making which is fermenting milk, you'd want to avoid chlorine in water, so use spring water or distilled water. You'd want to avoid salt with iodine because iodine is a disinfectant and you are trying to grow bacteria. I would hazard a guess that you'd need to avoid bleached flour, because bleached flour might have residue of bleach in it.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

This, plus the King Arthur Flour link above, might be helpful.

http://www.sourdoughlibrary.org/sour...eptions-myths/

In particular:

Quote:
4. Starters cannot be created with bleached flour or chlorinated water

Incorrect. Itís possible to establish a starter with bleached flour and/or chlorinated water.

In general, if the water is acceptable for human consumption, itís acceptable for starters as well. If the presence of chlorine is still a concern, boiling or leaving the water to stand for several hours will eliminate the chlorine. However, water containing other obstinate forms of chlorine, such as chloramine, may cause problems for sourdough. In this case, bottled spring water or natural mineral water may be a practical solution.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This, plus the King Arthur Flour link above, might be helpful.

9 Sourdough Misconceptions & Myths - Sourdough Library

In particular:
GotGarlic, are you selling King Arthur Flour or are you just oppositional?

Tags
dough, newbie, other, sourdough