Baking with discarded Sourdough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PilsburyDoughboy

Assistant Cook
Can I bake with the starter I am to discard after the first 24 hour period? I took half of it away and then fed the remainder with the proportions of flour and water I was instructed. I read somewhere that the discarded sourdough starter is not stable/safe in the beginning because of certain bacterias. Is this true? Can I bake with the discarded sourdough starter I have from the first 24 hour period?

Can I bake with the starter I am to discard after the first 24 hour period? I took half of it away and then fed the remainder with the proportions of flour and water I was instructed. I read somewhere that the discarded sourdough starter is not stable/safe in the beginning because of certain bacterias. Is this true? Can I bake with the discarded sourdough starter I have from the first 24 hour period?

There are starters that are more than 100 years old. They are fed each day, and the next day a piece is taken to start the new day of bread making. Don't worry about bacteria. The heat of the oven will kill off any that might develop.

Feed the starter each day and as time goes on, you will find that it will make better tasting bread as time passes. You will want to be making bread each day. Let the starter grow big enough and you can share some of it with friends. A good healthy starter is something to be treasured and a thing of wonder. :angel:

Last edited:
I used to think there wasn't a bread I didn't like, until I tried sourdough. I loved the crispy crust and the soft center, but couldn't stand the sour taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom