Bread starters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chausiubao

Senior Cook
Is the difference between a bread fermented with active dry yeast and a bread fermented with a yeast starter really that different?

Yes there is a major differance between the developed flavor of the bread. The bread made with the starter will have a more complex and in depth flavor then the one made with dry yeast.

Chausiubao said:
Is the difference between a bread fermented with active dry yeast and a bread fermented with a yeast starter really that different?
Are you asking about the difference in a bread made with a sourdough (wild yeast) starter VS one made with commercial yeast?
OR
Are you asking about the difference in a bread made with a preferment VS one made "American style" where the dough is mixed all at once and is baked after one (or sometimes two) risings (both of which are made with commercial yeast)?

...or maybe both ???

Usually i make bread with an recipe i learned awhile back where I use active dry yeast fermented in warm water and sugar for a few minutes before being added to the dry ingredients.

But recently i've been finding out about the use of yeast starters and that sort of thing so i was wondering what were the major differences between the two.

A nice recipe and explanation for yeast starters r what i'm after =b

Chausiubao said:
Usually i make bread with an recipe i learned awhile back where I use active dry yeast fermented in warm water and sugar for a few minutes before being added to the dry ingredients.

But recently i've been finding out about the use of yeast starters and that sort of thing so i was wondering what were the major differences between the two.

A nice recipe and explanation for yeast starters r what i'm after =b

You could take a look at discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6298 which has an explanation of yeast starters (preferments) as well as recipes for both various kinds of yeast starters and bread made from them contributed by quite a few DC members.

Back
Top Bottom