"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs

Old 07-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
My favorite is jalapeño and cheddar.
That sounds good, too

Old 07-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #12
Senior Cook

The reason I posted a request for help is this, translated from the Italian:

Olive oil Focaccia (Fugassa all'euio in Genoese) If you turn west at Genoa and head for Nice and the French Riviera, they call it 'Fugasse', and the recipe is almost the same - just shows that food has no real boundaries!

Anyway. here is the piece I found from the book Saints' Days and cuisine in Liguria (the Riviera part of Italy):

Ingredients: 1/2kg flour, 30g beer yeast, 1dl olive oil, salt.

Now a baker would know exactly how much water is required, but a mere amateur beginner wouldn't know where to start! Anyway, the recipe:

Make the dough with the flour, beer yeast and water; when it has fully risen, put it onto an oiled baking tray and spread it out by hand so that it fills the tray and remains no more than 2cm thick. Smear plenty of olive oil over the surface using the palms of both hands without exerting any pressure,. fingertips only Make the dimples all over the dough using both hands, then make a saline solution with olive oil in it and drizzle and spread this over the top. Bake in a hot oven for about twenty minutes.

This focaccia is the classic workman's breakfast in these parts, and is popular with many people - students, office workers, housewives, company directors, you name it, they all love it! It's delicious dunked in hot milk, or eaten crunchy as it comes out of the oven, or with a glass of good white wine. Everybody loves this bread, whose history dates back to Roman times. It has been used for the Sunday Mass Communion wine for centuries, especially for weddings for the Blessing of the bride and groom. In fact, it was so popular that the then Bishop of Genoa threatened some of the monks with excommunication for being greedy for it because it was so good! The same thing happened to wedding guests, who would tuck in to the focaccia in Church because it was so delicious. You had to get up to get it very early in the morning because by 7-30am it would already have sold out. But by the afternoon it's already past its best and you have to wait until tomorrow to queue again at the baker's!

I love that account, and I can tell you now that not much has changed since then.

Ciao for now

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 07-24-2016, 01:54 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Here is the ingredient list from the March/April issue of Cooks Illustrated for fougasse:

1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
Salt
1 tsp instant yeast
1 1/2 cups water
Cornmeal or semolina flour
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp chopped rosemary
2 tsp coarse sea salt

Makes two loaves.

They make really cool shapes with it. I haven't tried it yet.

https://goo.gl/images/mirgUv
Old 07-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by di reston View Post
Ingredients: 1/2kg flour, 30g beer yeast, 1dl olive oil, salt.

Now a baker would know exactly how much water is required, but a mere amateur beginner wouldn't know where to start!
I'm not a bread baker, and I'm not a shill for Ken Forkish's book. However, If I was serious about making bread at home, I would purchase a copy and keep it as reference. His explanations made a lot of sense to me.

I think what would help you in determining the proper amount of water is baker's percentages, or the amount of ingredients as a percentage of flour by weight. If you go to Amazon and preview his book you will find part of the definition on page 41 (no page 42 in the preview). It's also defined on King Arthur's website:

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/prof...ercentage.html

As I recall from reading his book (it was last winter), Forkish uses this when making breads with biga and poolish. You need to include them when calculating the final amount of ingredients.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Love your story about the focaccia di reston. Sometimes the stories that go with the food are more interesting than the recipe. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:12 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Czech holiday bread

One year I wanted to make this bread for my DIL, who is Czech, so I asked for the recipe.
I had to translate the recipe from Czech to English, change the metric measures to US, change the weights of ingredients to volumes (thank you Joy of Cooking),and I baked the bread.
It was supposed to come out twisted like a challah, but it came out looking like a giant Milk Bone!
It tasted good, though
Old 07-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #17
Master Chef

I do bake bread from starter, but I only bake rye bread. Made starter myself, took me a while though.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
One year I wanted to make this bread for my DIL, who is Czech, so I asked for the recipe.
I had to translate the recipe from Czech to English, change the metric measures to US, change the weights of ingredients to volumes (thank you Joy of Cooking),and I baked the bread.
It was supposed to come out twisted like a challah, but it came out looking like a giant Milk Bone!
It tasted good, though
I don't understand changing from weight to volume. Baking is usually more successful when measuring by weight.

Tags
bread, tips