"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs

Old 01-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2cookin View Post
I just made NYT bread yesterday for the first time. I am not sure what you mean by cold proofed. I am new at baking bread. Can you tell me what you do for the cold proofed method. Are you just storing the wet dough in the fridge until you need it?
The method I use is to allow the NYT dough with 1/4 t of yeast to raise on the counter for at least 6-8 hours, then I put it into a Tupperware container and put it into the fridge. As Pie Susan said, I think the flavor is better with the low amount of yeast. The dough will remain viable for up to 2 weeks, but the flavor will evolve into a sourdough type flavor after about 5-6 days. At day 10 the sourdough flavor is too strong for me, but some sourdough aficionados would probably salivate for this flavor.

For me, I like to use the dough within 7 days. The whole deal here is that you are not forced into baking bread if you don't have time. I make the dough before I go to bed, then put it in the fridge in the morning. I made a loaf today from dough I made 4 days ago, and we loved it. Give it a shot!

Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
Senior Cook

JoeV, thanks for the great description on cold proofing the NYT dough. I really like the time flexability and the fact that I could get a bread with the sourdough taste. I was wanting to make a sourdough starter but thought I needed to wait until summer when it is warmer to get a good starter. I will definately give the cold proofing a try. Thanks for the comment on my picture of the loaf of bread. We had it again the second day after putting it in the oven to crisp the crust some. It was great with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2cookin View Post
JoeV, thanks for the great description on cold proofing the NYT dough. I really like the time flexability and the fact that I could get a bread with the sourdough taste. I was wanting to make a sourdough starter but thought I needed to wait until summer when it is warmer to get a good starter. I will definately give the cold proofing a try. Thanks for the comment on my picture of the loaf of bread. We had it again the second day after putting it in the oven to crisp the crust some. It was great with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
n2cookin,

There's no need to wait for summer. My starter recipe came from Make Your Own Sourdough Starter — Bread Making Videos and you can make it anytime of the year in your home. My starter lives in the fridge and gets fed about every 10 days or so when not in use. I also use it to make sourdough pancakes.

I'll be flying into Nashville in a couple of weeks on my way to fish with some friends in Tullahoma and to have a cooking binge. Five days of cooking, baking and fishing for tailwater trout with about a dozen friends.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
n2cookin,

There's no need to wait for summer. My starter recipe came from Make Your Own Sourdough Starter Bread Making Videos and you can make it anytime of the year in your home. My starter lives in the fridge and gets fed about every 10 days or so when not in use. I also use it to make sourdough pancakes.

I'll be flying into Nashville in a couple of weeks on my way to fish with some friends in Tullahoma and to have a cooking binge. Five days of cooking, baking and fishing for tailwater trout with about a dozen friends.
great recipe Joe.. amazing stuff you can do with this. Thanks for sharing
Old 03-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I have been making NYT recipe for a couple of years, and this method of reserving the dough in the refrigerator makes the dough available on demand instead of waiting until the next day. Joe, can you add things like flax seed or herbs de provence (sp?) and still refrigerate the dough, or does it need to be put in when you prepare the cold dough for baking.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 PM   #16
Senior Cook

What is NYT Bread?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #17
Executive Chef

NYT New York Times bread recipe both this and the 5 min artisan bread are awesome.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinaFine View Post
What is NYT Bread?
Here is a long thread about it along with problems and solutions members have had.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy View Post
Joe, can you add things like flax seed or herbs de provence (sp?) and still refrigerate the dough, or does it need to be put in when you prepare the cold dough for baking.
I'm not Joe, but you can add your flax seeds or other variation ingredients in the initial mix.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
I'm not Joe, but you can add your flax seeds or other variation ingredients in the initial mix.
Thank you Russ. I was not sure if different ingredients would deteriorate over the 2 week time frame in the refrigerator. I guess if I'm not sure of an ingredient, I can add it when I prepare the cold proofed dough for baking. Things like raisins, onions and dried fruits are what I'm particularly interested in.

I see lots of people have experience with this simple and wholesome bread. JoeV seems to be particularly innovative, as are a couple other posters. I don't make much besides the NYT when it comes to bread, but I would like to learn. Yeast makes me nervous.

FG