"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs

Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
Head Chef

Cold Proofed NYT Dough

Is anyone else using this technique for keeping NYT dough on hand for quick use? How do you like it? Anyone else making sourdough NYT this way?

I have been doing this for a few weeks, and find it invaluable if I want a whole loaf of NYT or a small loaf just for dinner or for a couple of dinner rolls made in the convection toaster oven. I think this is as revolutionary as when the original NYT recipe was made public. I make a double NYT recipe, let it raise on the counter for about 6-8 hours, then throw it in the fridge to finish rising. Super simple.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Master Chef

Never tried it with NYT , only with the artisan 5 min . day.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Never tried it with NYT , only with the artisan 5 min . day.
The only difference between them is that the 5 minute recipe calls for more yeast. Aside from that they are essentially the same recipes. Using the 5 minute recipe gets the dough ready for baking quickly, vs the slow development time for NYT dough. Once in the fridge they are the same.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Hi Joe - I have not tried this yet, but, it is on the calendar.

Small business kind of got the best of the last couple months and my bread baking has not been what it usually is. I am looking forward to some Challah and Pumpernickle over the winter, restarting my Rye sour culture and getting my sourdough starter going again.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
The only difference between them is that the 5 minute recipe calls for more yeast. Aside from that they are essentially the same recipes. Using the 5 minute recipe gets the dough ready for baking quickly, vs the slow development time for NYT dough. Once in the fridge they are the same.
thanks , Joe.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
Executive Chef

i have not considered this with the NYTimes dough. I do use this technique with the 5 minute artisan recipe, and note a difference in the raising ability of the subsequent breads. I use the 6 to 6 1/2 cup flour recipe and use it for 3 pizza crusts, and the refrigerated crust dough comes out much flatter than the fresh baked crust.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I just made NYT bread yesterday for the first time. I am not sure what you mean by cold proofed. I am new at baking bread. Can you tell me what you do for the cold proofed method. Are you just storing the wet dough in the fridge until you need it?

Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Executive Chef

n2cooking, that is one beautiful loaf of bread you got there.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
Head Chef

I bet the smaller amount of yeast is what makes the NYT recipe taste better to some than the 5 minutes a day bread.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I think the five minute bread is better than the NYT bread if only because you can let it ferment up to two weeks. This last batch I made I mixed bread flour and all purpose flour and it turned out great after only two days in fridge.