"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs
Old 03-19-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Easy Sourdough Starter.

I have been getting excellent results with my starter - good flavor, ease of preparation and ease of use.

I begin by mixing 2 cups of bread floour, 2 cups of water, and 1 pkg Active Dry Yeast in a tupperware type container (1 qt). Do not seal the container! It will blow the top off and scare the dickens out of everybody!! :D Set it aside at room temp for three days. This makes a rather thick but pourable batter, which will thin down somewhat by that third day.

Then I pour off 1 cup of the batter and combine it with two cups of flour and a teasspoon of salt, adjusting the flour to get a more stiff dough for a French Soourdough loaf.

Then I add a cup of flour and a cup of water to the starter, leave it at room temp for a day, then into the refridgerator until the next time I make bread.

Adding fat (butter, olive oil, etc) or honey or eggs becomes a snap. for other types of breads. Obviouslly, if a less pungent sourdough is desired, use less starter. (MAy require additional yeast).

I've been having a ball with this method.

oldcoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Thank you. I will give it a try.
Essie is offline   Reply With Quote