Onion Sourdough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flukx

Senior Cook
I am in the process of attempting my first sourdough and have found previous threads quite useful. After 3 days I have a nice, bubbling batter with a good tangy smell. I am pondering a few options of what kind of bread I'd like to make, and a nice onion bread came to mind. In Germany I have had very flavorful onion loaves (round) with dark crusts and onions throughout the whole thing and I thought this might go well with sourdough. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried an onion sourdough before, or has any comments. Otherwise, any tips for making an onion bread in particular would be appreciated, for example, using fresh onions, dehydrated onions, or even a french onion soup type mixture with dry onions and onion powder. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks much.

:) I used to work at a bakery where I made bagels for the onion bagels we would soak dried minced onions to put on top of bagels I think that would work as well as fresh minced onions.I definitly would not use soup mix as it has beef base etc and you dont want that.I would not use onion powder but I might want to sautee finely minced fresh onions in butter or olive oil before adding to dough.Instead of adding to whole batch
of dough add some to maybe 1/2 of the dough and see what happens

Last edited:
Although it's been broken into many pieces now by a busted spine, I have, somewhere, a copy of Uncle John Raye's Bread Book. Mr. Raye is the son of a German baker who immigrated to the US about 100 years ago, if I remember right. Lots of different bread formulations in it, including an onion bread (which I've saved onto my computer) that is out of this world. The formulation yields two loaves, and usually the first loaf dissappears within 20 minutes of it coming out of the oven.

The formulation starts off by soaking 1/4 c of dehydrated onion flakes in 1/4 c of warm water.

I haven't thought about trying this with a sourdough.

Something else you might want to think about. A local bakery here makes an awesome Dill Sourdough. Whenever we have that at work, I can't help but "qual-checking" a piece every now and then.

flukx said:
I am in the process of attempting my first sourdough and have found previous threads quite useful. After 3 days I have a nice, bubbling batter with a good tangy smell. I am pondering a few options of what kind of bread I'd like to make, and a nice onion bread came to mind. In Germany I have had very flavorful onion loaves (round) with dark crusts and onions throughout the whole thing and I thought this might go well with sourdough. I am wondering if anyone has ever tried an onion sourdough before, or has any comments. Otherwise, any tips for making an onion bread in particular would be appreciated, for example, using fresh onions, dehydrated onions, or even a french onion soup type mixture with dry onions and onion powder. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks much.

[/I made an onion sourdough some time ago, but dont know if I can find the recipe. It gives me an idea though, I think I'll try it again. I believe I remember that it smelled really nice and oniony while rising and baking, but the onion was not very strong in the final bread. I'm going to look for the recipe and let you know. If you want the onion in the bread to show after it is baked, you probably have to sautee the onion and fold it in befor shaping. The bread I made used raw onion which was allowed to sit in the rising dough and bake along with it. ]

AllenMI said:
Although it's been broken into many pieces now by a busted spine, I have, somewhere, a copy of Uncle John Raye's Bread Book. Mr. Raye is the son of a German baker who immigrated to the US about 100 years ago, if I remember right. Lots of different bread formulations in it, including an onion bread (which I've saved onto my computer) that is out of this world. The formulation yields two loaves, and usually the first loaf dissappears within 20 minutes of it coming out of the oven.

The formulation starts off by soaking 1/4 c of dehydrated onion flakes in 1/4 c of warm water.

I haven't thought about trying this with a sourdough.

Something else you might want to think about. A local bakery here makes an awesome Dill Sourdough. Whenever we have that at work, I can't help but "qual-checking" a piece every now and then.
I want the recipe for that wonderful onion bread that Allen talked about. How about it Allen.
I am a worshiper of the Son

Just the thought of onion bread makes my mouth water!

One of the best bakeries here in Los Angeles, La Brea Bakery, makes a roasted garlic sourdough loaf, which we had with dinner last night. They apparently just add whole cloves of roasted garlic before forming the loaves, and the result is wonderful! I don't see why you couldn't do the same with bits of cooked onion.

Back
Top Bottom