"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Head Chef
 
sparrowgrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Highest point in Missouri
Posts: 1,794
Both, please!
__________________

__________________
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
Yes, both,please.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I would never have thought to name a started. Nice touch.
You've obviously never met Herman the Friendship Cake.

Herman surfaces over here every few years. "Friendship" cake is the world's most inaccurately named cake in the world. Someone gives you a batch of starter, you feed it everyday for a week and then use aportion of it to make your own Herman cake, save a portion for next week and and divide the rest up and pass it on to 5 friends who do the same and pass it on on their friends ad infinitum. By the time everyone has decided to throw Herman away no-one is speaking to you!

It's supposed to have originated sometime in the 1950s in Germany (Herman the German - geddit?) and the starters going the rounds today are direct descendants of the original Herman.
__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
You've obviously never met Herman the Friendship Cake.

Herman surfaces over here every few years. "Friendship" cake is the world's most inaccurately named cake in the world. Someone gives you a batch of starter, you feed it everyday for a week and then use aportion of it to make your own Herman cake, save a portion for next week and and divide the rest up and pass it on to 5 friends who do the same and pass it on on their friends ad infinitum. By the time everyone has decided to throw Herman away no-one is speaking to you!

It's supposed to have originated sometime in the 1950s in Germany (Herman the German - geddit?) and the starters going the rounds today are direct descendants of the original Herman.


My grandmother did something similar with fermented fruit. Nasty stuff. Everyone had a crock, fed the fruit, and shared some with their (now former) friends. It always grew out of the crock, and would never go away.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Now...Audrey II is a dear member of the family, I have not given any of her away and I created her in my own kitchen. Sourdough Foccacia anyone?
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Now...Audrey II is a dear member of the family, I have not given any of her away and I created her in my own kitchen. Sourdough Foccacia anyone?
And was Igor your assistant in your La bor a tory? Hahahahahahaha! Did you create a mate for Audrey II?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #17
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Audrey II is self reproducing and Shrek is not allowed to touch it.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Audrey II is self reproducing and Shrek is not allowed to touch it.
This thread could easily go off in the wrong direction. My evil twin sister Evilynne is dying to get out. I am beating her back and leaving well enough alone. Say "Hello" to Audrey II for me.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #19
Assistant Cook
 
Grannys42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 37
Ryan my rye sourdough starter.

Well I thought I was so clever naming my rye starter "Ryan" after Robert Ryan, and when I started looking for sourdough crumpets recipes I found this topic. My Ryan is only 3 days old, so I'm hoping he has a better fate than yours.


Así es la vida.
__________________
Grannys42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
bakechef's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post


My grandmother did something similar with fermented fruit. Nasty stuff. Everyone had a crock, fed the fruit, and shared some with their (now former) friends. It always grew out of the crock, and would never go away.
My brother's first wife started that with my family once upon a time, it was disgusting, the cake that you made with it was terrible, I don't know what she was thinking.

Years ago a friend gave me a starter that came with a recipe for a cinnamon type quick bread and that was really delicious, I'd love to make it again but don't have the patience for a starter for a quick bread, and I don't have the recipe.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app
__________________

__________________
I'm Bloggin'

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.