Ryan my rye sourdough starter.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fairygirl69

Senior Cook
I've started my third pineapple juice and flour starter. The first two are successful. So successful in fact that I plan on passing on Perry, my Carp Lake sourdough from my husband's family's cottage in Michigan to family some day when I die.

Anyway, I wanted to start an all rye sourdough starter for rye and multigrain breads. The problem is, it's day 5 and I thought Ryan was alive but now he just sits there. Anybody have any ideas on how to "perk Ryan up"?

I've started my third pineapple juice and flour starter. The first two are successful. So successful in fact that I plan on passing on Perry, my Carp Lake sourdough from my husband's family's cottage in Michigan to family some day when I die.

Anyway, I wanted to start an all rye sourdough starter for rye and multigrain breads. The problem is, it's day 5 and I thought Ryan was alive but now he just sits there. Anybody have any ideas on how to "perk Ryan up"?

What are you feeding it? Every starter needs to be fed. :angel:

Ryan just sounded like a cute name for a rye sourdough starter. He'll be used primarily for rye and multigrain breads. I started him with equal parts pineapple juice and rye flour for two days and now he is supposed to have once a day feedings of equal parts (rye in my case) flour and filtered water. If you look up Noreen's Kitchen on YouTube she has an awesome playlist filled with how to sourdough and recipes.

Good news! Ryan woke up on his own. I just needed to wait a little longer. I can hardly wait to start baking my first sourdough rye ??

I would never have thought to name a started. Nice touch. :angel:
You've obviously never met Herman the Friendship Cake.

Herman surfaces over here every few years. "Friendship" cake is the world's most inaccurately named cake in the world. Someone gives you a batch of starter, you feed it everyday for a week and then use aportion of it to make your own Herman cake, save a portion for next week and and divide the rest up and pass it on to 5 friends who do the same and pass it on on their friends ad infinitum. By the time everyone has decided to throw Herman away no-one is speaking to you!

It's supposed to have originated sometime in the 1950s in Germany (Herman the German - geddit?) and the starters going the rounds today are direct descendants of the original Herman.

You've obviously never met Herman the Friendship Cake.

Herman surfaces over here every few years. "Friendship" cake is the world's most inaccurately named cake in the world. Someone gives you a batch of starter, you feed it everyday for a week and then use aportion of it to make your own Herman cake, save a portion for next week and and divide the rest up and pass it on to 5 friends who do the same and pass it on on their friends ad infinitum. By the time everyone has decided to throw Herman away no-one is speaking to you!

It's supposed to have originated sometime in the 1950s in Germany (Herman the German - geddit?) and the starters going the rounds today are direct descendants of the original Herman.

:LOL:

My grandmother did something similar with fermented fruit. Nasty stuff. Everyone had a crock, fed the fruit, and shared some with their (now former) friends. It always grew out of the crock, and would never go away.

Now...Audrey II is a dear member of the family, I have not given any of her away and I created her in my own kitchen. Sourdough Foccacia anyone?

Audrey II is self reproducing and Shrek is not allowed to touch it.

This thread could easily go off in the wrong direction. My evil twin sister Evilynne is dying to get out. I am beating her back and leaving well enough alone. Say "Hello" to Audrey II for me. :angel:

Well I thought I was so clever naming my rye starter "Ryan" after Robert Ryan, and when I started looking for sourdough crumpets recipes I found this topic. My Ryan is only 3 days old, so I'm hoping he has a better fate than yours.

Así es la vida.

Last edited:
:LOL:

My grandmother did something similar with fermented fruit. Nasty stuff. Everyone had a crock, fed the fruit, and shared some with their (now former) friends. It always grew out of the crock, and would never go away.

My brother's first wife started that with my family once upon a time, it was disgusting, the cake that you made with it was terrible, I don't know what she was thinking.

Years ago a friend gave me a starter that came with a recipe for a cinnamon type quick bread and that was really delicious, I'd love to make it again but don't have the patience for a starter for a quick bread, and I don't have the recipe.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom