"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs

Old 08-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Head Chef

Arky writes:

"I use a ceramic crock with a glazed interior and a loose fitting lid, much like a cookie jar, to hold my starter."

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhr55 View Post
What do you keep your starter in?
A 1/2 gal. crock with a glazed interior and loose fitting lid. I keep it near the top shelf of an open cabinet, so the heat in the kitchen keeps it very active.

Wal-mart used to carry both a ceramic and tinted glass canister with a spring wire fastener that my dad used for his starter, and that seemed to work well as long as you remember to open it at least once a week to feed it and let fresh air in.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Sous Chef

I always use a one-to-one mixture of water and flour; it's always worked for me. There are a lot of "right" ways.

Sugar will eventually ferment to alcohol. That's why it's not used in the starter.

I use an old crockpot crock and for a lid (with gas release) a cheap, plastic shower cap.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Thank you very much everyone for your great tips!

What do I feed the starter with? I had a recipe for a sour dough but it used suger and salt I found off of All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips website!

Some one said not to use it since it had suger & salt and a jump starter in it.

By the way is it still 72 hours 2 day's with a damp towel over the bowl?
Old 08-03-2009, 03:27 PM   #15
Head Chef

Sour dough bread, made with started may also include sugar and salt. Try this site:
Science of Bread: Basic Sourdough Starter Recipe

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Sour dough bread, made with started may also include sugar and salt. Try this site:
Science of Bread: Basic Sourdough Starter Recipe
Thank you very very much Wyogal, The main reason for the starter quest is the pizza dough, Some of you who know me like Texas girl knows I make pizza from scratch or nearly from scratch as much as I can.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Thank you very much everyone for your great tips!

What do I feed the starter with? I had a recipe for a sour dough but it used suger and salt I found off of All recipes – complete resource for recipes and cooking tips website!

Some one said not to use it since it had suger & salt and a jump starter in it.

By the way is it still 72 hours 2 day's with a damp towel over the bowl?
Go back to the beginning of this thread (your first comment/question) and read comments #2 & #3 (listed on the right side of the page for each entry) on how to feed your starter, and then reread this thread all of the way through to find out how to store your starter. And by the way, 72 hours is 3 days, not 2.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I said no sugar in the starter, not in the bread recipe.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Thank you very much Arky & Dave the baker, I've followed the Wyogal linked to me and I didn't put nothing in there but water.

So wish me luck gang!
Old 08-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #20
Executive Chef

One must distinguish between sourdough starter and the bread or other sourdough products we want to make.

I use those clear glass storage containers with a rubber seal and metal flanges. I leave them open by using the metal sealing moving parts to keep the jar open. I put a shower cap on top of the whole thing to keep bugs out and yet allow oxygen to enter my container.

To create a starter all you do is start with equal parts of rye or wheat flower and spring or bottled water. Rye and wheat have more active wild yeast n them, so it is better to start with one or both of them. Stir the mixture, but don't worry about dissolving all the small stuff, as the fermentation process will do that for you.

You need to feed these micro-organisms daily for about a week, so start of with maybe a 1/4 cup of flour and water. Add equal amounts 2 or 3 times a day for the first 5 days or so. When you feed, stir and thus you are also airating the starter.

The starter should start bubbling and expanding within the first few hours, certainly by a day. That is a good sign you have some wild yeast in there. Do not feed it anything other than the flour and water: no sugar, no salt, no dry yeast, no vinegar. Just don't do it. You want a "pure" sourdough starter.

After a week, you can begin using some of your starter to make stuff. Just remember to keep feeding it weekly. Store it in your frig under the shower cap. When you get this far, post again. We can discuss using this wonderful mixture.

Marty