Sourdough crumpets or English muffins.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grannys42

Assistant Cook
Does anyone have a recipe using sourdough starter without extra yeast for crumpets or muffins? Have looked at King Arthur site, but alas, their recipes use yeast as well.

Así es la vida.

Does anyone have a recipe using sourdough starter without extra yeast for crumpets or muffins? Have looked at King Arthur site, but alas, their recipes use yeast as well.

Así es la vida.
There's this one for crumpets
Sourdough Crumpets : King Arthur Flour

Or this one
Sour Dough Crumpets - Recipes | Shipton Mill - Home of Organic Flour

Neither look much like the crumpets I know (no holes and more like thick pikelets)

And here's one for "English" muffins
Let's Make Something Awesome › Sourdough English Muffins

I love the idea of using canning lids for the "English muffins". I used to use an empty tuna tin, but these days the bottoms are rounded and you can't just use a can opener to open up the bottom.

Sourdough crumpets

Thanks for those sites. I had looked at the King Arthur site, but they use the addition of yeast, I wanted to only use my wild yeast starter. The Shipton one looks good though. Never had sourdough before coming to this site, now my husband and I love it.

I might be overweight but I'll die with a smile on my face.:yum:

Thanks for those sites. I had looked at the King Arthur site, but they use the addition of yeast, I wanted to only use my wild yeast starter. The Shipton one looks good though. Never had sourdough before coming to this site, now my husband and I love it.

I might be overweight but I'll die with a smile on my face.:yum:

No, the King Arthur recipe for sourdough given as an add-on to the crumpet recipe does NOT involve added yeast. Click on the internal link "creating your own sourdough from scratch" within the body of the King Arthur link which I sent to you.

The starter mix attracts the natural yeast in the air which is what is used to ferment your starter and leaven your dough. If there wasn't any yeast in it at all the starter wouldn't work.

The air borne yeasts are the reason the sourdough starter sometimes doesn't work - some nasty yeasts can occasionally get in with the good yeasts

No, the King Arthur recipe for sourdough given as an add-on to the crumpet recipe does NOT involve added yeast. Click on the internal link "creating your own sourdough from scratch" within the body of the King Arthur link which I sent to you.

The starter mix attracts the natural yeast in the air which is what is used to ferment your starter and leaven your dough. If there wasn't any yeast in it at all the starter wouldn't work.

The air borne yeasts are the reason the sourdough starter sometimes doesn't work - some nasty yeasts can occasionally get in with the good yeasts

I looked at that site Granny and it does give you complete direction for making your own starter sourdough with pictures of how it will look. It also give directions for making rye starters, etc. without using commercial yeast.

Like I have always said, if you want to know, then go to the experts. After all that is what they do best. And King Arthur is definitely the expert to go to. :angel:

Well, what can I say. I honestly had not been drinking when I wrote that post about the yeast in the crumpets. I don't know what I read, but it wasn't that recipe. I stand corrected and thanks.

Así es la vida.

Well, what can I say. I honestly had not been drinking when I wrote that post about the yeast in the crumpets. I don't know what I read, but it wasn't that recipe. I stand corrected and thanks.

Así es la vida.

Not a problem. I have the feeling you saw the word "yeast" and went onto something else in your quest. As soon as I become a perfect person, then and only then will I find fault with you. And I doubt that is ever going to happen. :angel:

Made the Shipton Mill crumpets this morning for brekkie, very tasty. Only problem, I had to use egg rings and the dough came over the top like Mt. Versuvius. To me, they were more like muffins, so I split and toasted them and served with syrup. Fred loved them, so more Brownie points.

Así es la vida.

Back
Top Bottom