"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs

Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Sourdough crumpets or English muffins.

Does anyone have a recipe using sourdough starter without extra yeast for crumpets or muffins? Have looked at King Arthur site, but alas, their recipes use yeast as well.

Así es la vida.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:34 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

every time i read that, i feel like breaking into spanish sinatra.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:23 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

https://www.exploratorium.edu/cookin...sourdough.html

At the bottom is are the directions for a grape starter. I have done that one myself and had great success with it. Actually any fruit with a bloom on it is a great starter for sourdough starter.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannys42 View Post
Does anyone have a recipe using sourdough starter without extra yeast for crumpets or muffins? Have looked at King Arthur site, but alas, their recipes use yeast as well.

Así es la vida.
There's this one for crumpets
Sourdough Crumpets : King Arthur Flour

Or this one
Sour Dough Crumpets - Recipes | Shipton Mill - Home of Organic Flour

Neither look much like the crumpets I know (no holes and more like thick pikelets)

And here's one for "English" muffins
Let's Make Something Awesome › Sourdough English Muffins
Old 09-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I love the idea of using canning lids for the "English muffins". I used to use an empty tuna tin, but these days the bottoms are rounded and you can't just use a can opener to open up the bottom.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:43 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Sourdough crumpets

Thanks for those sites. I had looked at the King Arthur site, but they use the addition of yeast, I wanted to only use my wild yeast starter. The Shipton one looks good though. Never had sourdough before coming to this site, now my husband and I love it.

I might be overweight but I'll die with a smile on my face.
Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Thanks for those sites. I had looked at the King Arthur site, but they use the addition of yeast, I wanted to only use my wild yeast starter. The Shipton one looks good though. Never had sourdough before coming to this site, now my husband and I love it.

I might be overweight but I'll die with a smile on my face.
No, the King Arthur recipe for sourdough given as an add-on to the crumpet recipe does NOT involve added yeast. Click on the internal link "creating your own sourdough from scratch" within the body of the King Arthur link which I sent to you.

The starter mix attracts the natural yeast in the air which is what is used to ferment your starter and leaven your dough. If there wasn't any yeast in it at all the starter wouldn't work.

The air borne yeasts are the reason the sourdough starter sometimes doesn't work - some nasty yeasts can occasionally get in with the good yeasts
Old 09-18-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
No, the King Arthur recipe for sourdough given as an add-on to the crumpet recipe does NOT involve added yeast. Click on the internal link "creating your own sourdough from scratch" within the body of the King Arthur link which I sent to you.

The starter mix attracts the natural yeast in the air which is what is used to ferment your starter and leaven your dough. If there wasn't any yeast in it at all the starter wouldn't work.

The air borne yeasts are the reason the sourdough starter sometimes doesn't work - some nasty yeasts can occasionally get in with the good yeasts
I looked at that site Granny and it does give you complete direction for making your own starter sourdough with pictures of how it will look. It also give directions for making rye starters, etc. without using commercial yeast.

Like I have always said, if you want to know, then go to the experts. After all that is what they do best. And King Arthur is definitely the expert to go to.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Well, what can I say. I honestly had not been drinking when I wrote that post about the yeast in the crumpets. I don't know what I read, but it wasn't that recipe. I stand corrected and thanks.

Así es la vida.
Old 09-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well, what can I say. I honestly had not been drinking when I wrote that post about the yeast in the crumpets. I don't know what I read, but it wasn't that recipe. I stand corrected and thanks.

Así es la vida.
Not a problem. I have the feeling you saw the word "yeast" and went onto something else in your quest. As soon as I become a perfect person, then and only then will I find fault with you. And I doubt that is ever going to happen.

Tags
dough, muffin