"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs

Old 09-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Constance,

Thank you for these starter recipes.
I have used that beer starter recipe a few times with great success.
It's quick and easy and gives your bread a nice flavor.
The yogurt recipe looks really interesting.
I'm gonna give that a try this coming weekend.
You know, I have never made sourdough waffles.
I don't know why but I'm gonna try it real soon.

Talk to you later

Old 09-19-2005, 11:01 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

sourdough starter

i have a sourdough starter that i started 4 months ago and it is very easy. i got the starter from this website. http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm

i is the best bread i have ever had plus i made rolls and hamburger buns with it.

start with flour, water 110 degree and yeast. mix those together leave it on the counter for 2 days and than refrig. than all you have to do is take out one cup and put it aside and to the jar add one cup of flour and one cup of water 110 degrees and mix leave on counter for 2 hours and the refrig and that is called feeding your starter.
but the key to making good bread is making a sponge. to do that you take the one cup of starter and add one cup of water and one cup of flour to it and leave it on the counter overnight. i use a bread machine sometimes and sometimes i make bread by hand and either way the bread it to die for.
hope this helps

Old 09-19-2005, 12:21 PM   #13
Master Chef

I took the sponge I had made with store-bought yeast and set it in a clan jar. I added just a bit of water and a bit more flour and mixed well. I then covered it with a clean towel and let it sit all day. The sponge picked up wild yeast and whatever bacteria it was supposed to pick up. It started bubbliing and had a wonderfully sour aroma. I believe I now have converted my sponge into true sourdough starter. I will be making bread with it soon.

I NEED A NEW WAFFLE IRON!

Just had to vent.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #14
Master Chef

I used to feed my with flour, milk, and a tsp of sugar.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:47 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

feeding starter

i was advised by a 5star chef to never feed sourdough starter by adding sugar. she said only in America has she heard using sugar. i never use sugar and tonight i used my starter with my dough setting on my machine and than went on to make hamburger size rolls and sandwich rolls and they came out perfect. just i cup of 110 water and one cup flour, all-purpose but when i make my bread i use bread flour. its never failed me yet.