Sourdough Starter made from...beer remnants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqwrdmusings

Assistant Cook
This is going to be a weird one so bear with me...

Long story short, can I use the gooey remainder from making a batch of gingerbread beer to make a sourdough starter and what kind of bread recipe should I use once the starter is finished. Also..is this potentially a terrible idea? haha.

I've been making my own sourdough bread and using the normal methods of water and flower to grow my own sourdough bread starter. From what I can understand, letting it grow in the open is what helps natural yeast develop from the surrounding environment of the kitchen.

I recently made my own ale, a christmas variety with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and peppermint. It was delicious and when I finished with the end of it there was a smooth liquid left over at the bottom of the barrel I made the beer in. It had the consistency of maple syrup and smelled of the aromas I smelled while making the batch.

I used the liquid in replace of water for the sourdough starter with flour. It smells pretty good so far, a mixture of ginger spices and yeast growing. Once again...

Can I use the gooey remainder from making a batch of gingerbread beer to make a sourdough starter and what kind of bread recipe should I use once the starter is finished. Also..is this potentially a terrible idea? haha.

This is interesting to me. I thought when you made beer the yeast converted the sugar into alcohol and then "starved to death" when the sugar was used up. If it works it would not be my first choice for bread but, it might make some interesting sourdough pancakes.

Is it really always sunny in Philadelphia?

More importantly, how did the beer turn out?

Thanks for the response!

The idea for sourdough pancakes is perfect! Currently its a cool 56 degrees outside and the beer turned out great. I got the kit from Beer Making Kits which is great for starting your own DIY, although next time i'll add less water.

I've already added it to the sourdough starter kit though, do you have any bread or pancake recipes that could utilize it?

Check out the King Arthur flour website for sour dough pancakes. Just remember to hold back some starter for the next batch.

I am very interested on how this is working for you! My husband and I just started also making our own beer! We just kegged a Heffy and this weekend are doing a raspberry beer for myself! Did you know the trough (whats left after fermentation) is really good for your garden also. I have heard of people who are doing wheat beers using the grain after brewing for bread but never the yeast. Please keep me up to date on how it goes!

P.s, Timothy if you are amazed at that price my husbands heffy was $50 for five gallons and mine is $40 for five gallons lol

Last edited:
This is interesting to me. I thought when you made beer the yeast converted the sugar into alcohol and then "starved to death" when the sugar was used up. If it works it would not be my first choice for bread but, it might make some interesting sourdough pancakes.

Is it really always sunny in Philadelphia?

More importantly, how did the beer turn out?
NB I know this is an old thread but I thought the OP's post was interesting and thought I'd add something in case anyone else was interested.

In the "olden days" before commercially made "cakes" of yeast, dried yeast and instant yeast were available the housewife went to the brewer to get her "barm" (liquid yeast) for bread making. It was a by-product of the beer making process skimmed off the top of the vat of fermenting beer.

In parts of the north of England a bread cake (like a muffin - ours not yours) is still called a "barm" cake and you hear people in sandwich shops asking for a ham and salad barm or a cheese barm, etc. Barm, as a raising agent was notoriously skittish and the word "barmy" is still a frequently heard dialect word for a silly person.

There is a notoriously love-it-or-hate-it yeast extract spread called "Marmite" available over here for spreading on your toast, which is made from the froth that is skimmed of the top of fermenting beers of the Guinness type. I can't recommend it.

It would be an interesting experiment to use your home-made "barm" to make bread but I wouldn't make a lot of bread in case it didn't work and it had to be wasted

Last edited:
NB I know this is an old thread but I thought the OP's post was interesting and thought I'd add something in case anyone else was interested.

In the "olden days" before commercially made "cakes" of yeast, dried yeast and instant yeast were available the housewife went to the brewer to get her "barm" (liquid yeast) for bread making. It was a by-product of the beer making process skimmed off the top of the vat of fermenting beer.

In parts of the north of England a bread cake (like a muffin - ours not yours) is still called a "barm" cake and you hear people in sandwich shops asking for a ham and salad barm or a cheese barm, etc. Barm, as a raising agent was notoriously skittish and the word "barmy" is still a frequently heard dialect word for a silly person.

There is a notoriously love-it-or-hate-it yeast extract spread called "Marmite" available over here for spreading on your toast, which is made from the froth that is skimmed of the top of fermenting beers of the Guinness type. I can't recommend it.

It would be an interesting experiment to use your home-made "barm" to make bread but I wouldn't make a lot of bread in case it didn't work and it had to be wasted
Well that explains several expressions I've heard used by Brits. I had gotten the gist of what they meant. I love learning about the etymology.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom