"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sourdoughs

Old 12-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Sourdough with wheat flour?

Hi all - so I was going to make sourdough bread today but I just realized I only have wheat flour left. "Stone ground whole wheat flour" is what the package says.

Can I still make sourdough with that or should I make a different bread?

I don't want to run to the store...I'm in MN and it's below 10 degrees today.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Master Chef

I wished I had an answer for you.... JoeV ought to be able to help you with that!

Old 12-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Whole wheat flour and sourdough work fine together. That said, not all recipes will work well with the two. Whole wheat flour tends to need more water than white flour, and can be harder to get a good rise out of. If you have a bread recipe that you usually make with white flour, you don't usually want to just sub in the wheat for it. Unless you are experienced with adjusting recipes for this sort of substitution, I would recommend using a recipe that is intended for whole wheat and sourdough, such as this one.

That recipe includes a step for converting your starter to whole wheat. This only really matters if you really want to be able to call your bread 100% whole wheat. Assuming you don't care about that, skipping the starter conversion step will save you some time (a couple days' worth).
Old 12-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Ah perfect! Thank you! I don't care if it's 100% whole wheat either...
Old 12-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I didn't figure you would. Seems to me like the sort of thing that would only really matter to those who want to sell the bread as 100% whole wheat.

Keep us posted about how it turns out.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Head Chef

I really have not gotten into 100% whole wheat bread. I usually put 25% whole wheat flour and 75% bread flour. What I have learned from my short experience with sourdough breads, is that your starter needs to be really healthy and active to get the maximum rise, and this will eliminate the need for additional yeast. Like the referenced recipe from sourdoughhome.com, multiple rises will add exquisite flavor and character to your finished bread. The addition of sugar also helps to provide food for the wild yeast.

Joe
Old 12-12-2008, 11:39 PM   #7
Head Chef

Sour dough can be real tricky to work with. I have been working on a rye sour for the last 2 months and just this week it it finally got too the place I wanted. Now I can feast on corn beef and rye.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Well, I ended up doing just a regular wheat bread because time ran out on doing a good sourdough. I have found that starting it in the morning and planning for it to be done by dinner is the way to go.

I was disappointed with the wheat bread. It's good, but just not as good as I thought it would be.

I think I have a fairly good starter for sourdough. I love that I can just keep that and use it when I want.

I need a party to go to so I can make it...on a diet and bread is off the list unfortunately.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
I need a party to go to so I can make it...on a diet and bread is off the list unfortunately.
You don't need a party, just a family that would enjoy a loaf of homemade bread, or an elderly person who cannot make bread for themself. If you belong to a church or synagogue that supplies meals or groceries to needy families, perhaps you could bake the day before a meal or grocery order is delivered by the organization, and take it to the organization. You don't need to make lots of bread, just as many as you would like to do. Many families or elderly would love a treat like homemade bread. Just an idea to keep you and your oven busy.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
Sour dough can be real tricky to work with. I have been working on a rye sour for the last 2 months and just this week it it finally got too the place I wanted. Now I can feast on corn beef and rye.
Woo hoo!!!!! I am sooooo happy for you! I know that rye sour takes time to get right and it can be frustrating because if it goes bad in the middle, you have to start over. Makes me wish I could eat rye flour again. I miss it.