"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Head Chef

6th Day of the Master Dough...Pizza!

DW asked what I wanted for dinner, so I suggested I make a homemade pizza from the Master Dough if she would go to the store to get pepperoni and mozzarella since we were out of both. She agreed and I pulled my cold sourdough from the fridge, cut off a chunk and rolled it out and placed it onto parchment paper dusted with cornmeal to fit my peel. It's amazing how easy it is to work with the loose dough (with a little flour) when it's 35 degrees F. I smeared some bottled spaghetti sauce on the dough, chopped up some sweet onion, put some bulk Italian sausage on one side for me and pepperoni for her. I preheated the stone for 1/2 hour at 450 then slid the pizza on it for 18 minutes. The crust was thin, crunchy and delicious, despite the lack of good looks.

If you have not tried this new method of keeping no-knead dough, you're missing out on an opportunity to be able to have no-knead bread ready to bake in about one hour, or pizza dough that can be taken from the fridge to the oven in 20 minutes.

Joe

Old 12-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
It looks good to me!

Old 12-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #3
Master Chef

*DROOL* Yet another masterpiece Joe!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Lack of good looks? Who you been hangin' out with? It's BEAUTIFUL! OK...who have I been hanging out with?

I'll take a hunk off the darker side, please!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I'll take a hunk off the darker side, please!
That would be the peperoni side. For some reason it baked darker than the sausage side. Probably because the sausage was cold when it was put on.

Thanks, All, for the kudos. It's hard to beat homemade.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hi Joe..here's a recipe for some good sauce to go with that homemade pizza dough

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon oregano ( Greek!!)
5 cloves garlic
and cup onion, diced and sauted in evoo
1/2 teaspoon fennel
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Directions:
Dice your garlic and onions. Then saute it in a little evoo. In the same pan add tomatoes and tomato paste. Add all the spices. Cook over medium heat until thick. Taste often, just so you can add more spices if needed.

Next time I'll grind up my tomatoes first so that the sauce isn't as chunky
Old 12-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
Hi Joe..here's a recipe for some good sauce to go with that homemade pizza dough

1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon oregano ( Greek!!)
5 cloves garlic
and cup onion, diced and sauted in evoo
1/2 teaspoon fennel
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Directions:
Dice your garlic and onions. Then saute it in a little evoo. In the same pan add tomatoes and tomato paste. Add all the spices. Cook over medium heat until thick. Taste often, just so you can add more spices if needed.

Next time I'll grind up my tomatoes first so that the sauce isn't as chunky
Sounds tasty to me just like it is. I like chunks of tomato.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:45 AM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Hi Joe - Did you post the "Master Dough" technique somewhere?

Great looking Pizza

Thank You

AC
Old 12-29-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post

If you have not tried this new method of keeping no-knead dough, you're missing out on an opportunity to be able to have no-knead bread ready to bake in about one hour, or pizza dough that can be taken from the fridge to the oven in 20 minutes.

Joe
Joe the Pizza looks great. I am always suspicious of these seemingly gimmicky recipes but with such strong recommendation from someone who is accomplished with bread making I am inclined to give it a try.

Pizza and bread have been on my mind alot lately because what is readily available locally for me is quite dismal. I have been thinking I need to learn how to make it but am not an experienced baker at all. Would this method be easy for someone who has little experience with bread/baking?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
Sounds tasty to me just like it is. I like chunks of tomato.

Either way! It's good!!!! Paul likes a thinner sauce so I smash them up pretty well most of the time. I too like the chunks. I also find myself adding more and more garlic.