Best cheese combinations for pizza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Traveler

Cook
I live in the San Diego area and whole milk mozzarella and/or mozzarella di bufala (buffalo) is nearly impossible to get. So, I usually end up using a skim milk mozzarella which has significantly less fat and less flavor.

Thus, I've been thinking about using a combination of skim milk mozzarella AND provolone to get a better flavor. :yum:

Do you have a favorite cheese combination for your home-made pizza ? if so what are they ?

Thank you.

I use Galbani whole milk mozz that I get from a regional warehouse club. I checked Galbani's web site an it looks like their products are available all over San Diego. Try their product locator. The warehouse club periodically runs specials on two 2 lb. bags of shredded mozz, and I put one in the freezer.

The whole milk mozz is quite a bit different from the part skim mozz that supermarkets tend to carry.

Motz isn't hard to make at home. We make a variety of different pizza with different cheeses on many of them. Fig jam, gorgonzola and prosciutto come to mind. We have an Italian market that makes their motz on a daily basis, so buying it fresh isn't a problem. Can you get oaxaca cheese locally?

I've been buying the Galbani mozz lately. Pretty good stuff.

Provolone and part skim would work. I don't think I've ever seen skim (as in fat free) mozz before. At that point, you might as well use plastic just for texture.

Don;t forget to sprinkle on some grated parmesan. That'll help as well.

You can try dollops of ricotta, too.

I recently made a "pizza" using naan as the crust, sauce, grated parm, and a reduced fat shredded Mexican blend that my wife buys. It wasn't something to write home about, but not bad for a 3 AM craving using the toaster oven.

best cheese combinations for pizza

I went to the Galbani web site (product locator) and I discovered that Target carries whole milk (low moisture) mozzarella. I'll be going there tomorrow.
Target, of all places, who would have figured that ? :yum:
I hope that it is 'stretchy" and when you lift a slice it "runs in a long string" and that it has a better taste.

One thing is for sure, I don't care for the skim milk variety.

I also will be trying out a combination of provolone and whole milk mozzarella.

Thanks to all for your time.:):):)

The little sharpness or kick is due to lipase. Lipase is found in goat's milk, provolone, some parmesans, some romanos.
The melty stringy cheeses are, oaxoca, mozzarella, and provolone. These are known as pasta filata cheeses, the curd is made then stretched in hot water or whey.

Any combinations are delicious.

I also like a cream sauce with other cheeses, instead of just cheese on some combinations, like a chicken alfredo with spinach.

I get my fresh whole milk Mozz at Kroger in Dallas. In LA, that would be Ralph's... not sure about San Diego.

We also have a place in Dallas that makes it fresh called Mozzarella Company. I go there if I want an artisanal cheese.

CD

I also will be trying out a combination of provolone and whole milk mozzarella.
Please take notes, as we are looking forward to your report. :chef:

We regularly have a thin crust cheese pizza for lunch, but I've only used straight mozz. I'll have to try some of these suggestions.

Up here, many commercial places use a mix of North American style mozzarella with a bit of Brick cheese melted in..not sure why, but it does brown nicely, and imparts a rich dairy flavor..But, that's for commercial type pizza, not authentic, Italian style. All the years I had my place, I used only Mozz...cost and convenience was the key..

Last edited:
What's "Brick" cheese?

It's a specific type of cheese formed in a brick shape and weighed down/pressed by a brick, and depending on how long you age it and how much you facilitate the growth of b. linens (the smelly feet bacteria), it becomes mild to very strong flavored. Similar to Limburger in some ways.

It is from Wisconsin: https://www.widmerscheese.com/the-story-of-wisconsin-brick-cheese/

I've been to this factory, and bought mild to very aged. The aged is orange/pink on the outside and smelly. Once you get past the smell, the taste is quite nice. DH prefers the mild while I prefer the aged.

I've made it myself, it is a nice soft, smelly, creamy cheese.

There are many cheeses that have the b linens bacteria on them, it makes them melt nicely. Raclette, limburger, (tilsit?), brick, others for sure.

Well, the commercial brick up here is not as strong as the type you speak of. It is milder, and has the consitency of mild cheddar. It is mass produced so it is also priced similar to the ither commercial type cheeses available for the food service industry

Attachments

• CE4AF5AA-0852-4DF5-9F3D-853257429B74.png
    CE4AF5AA-0852-4DF5-9F3D-853257429B74.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Lots of Danish cheeses are of the smelly type. On his first morning in Copenhagen, my DH had a breakfast platter that included a quesadilla made with Danish cheese. His face went all funny at the first bite. "Are you alright?" "It's a vicious attack cheese, but I like it."

I usually stick with mozzarella, and it´s usually bog-standard mozz which they sell in huge bars in the supermarket. If I wanted a really classy pizza, I might buy buffalo milk mozzarella, but it´s pretty expensive.
I´ve tried pizzas with goat cheese, and with blue cheese. They´re ok, but to be honest, unless I´m out to a restaurant where I get to choose, I tend to stick to mozz+tomato sauce+pepperoni+olives+peppers+capers+anchovies, some combination of that!

Certainly not traditional, but I have found I like the combination or whole milk mozzarella and cheddar with grated parm on top. I found I like the little sharpness from the cheddar.

When I used to go to the Italian market on a regular basis, and made pizza more often, I'd get some of that sharp provolone - the 6' x 1' logs they had hanging from the ceiling, giving the store its signature aroma as you're walking in! All I'd use was about 20% of that, with 80% whole milk mozzarella, for my favorite cheese combo. The provolone I get in stores around here doesn't seem like provolone, compared to that.

Last edited:
Provolone is what gives it the aross the room goopiness.

Yeah, I hear you; but provolone is a semi-hard cheese ( 4 months or so aging) which will add a good deal of acidity and dominance to the flavour of to the pizza. Cheddar? Gouda? Gruyere? would they work?

Back
Top Bottom