Cast iron skillet in place of pizza stone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
I prepared some biga and put it in the fridge with the plan of making some "artisan" bread Friday morning. The trouble is I can't find a pizza stone anywhere (I live in Japan) and the stones they sell in the DIY stores are much to thick and heavy. To get that crust I was wondering if anyone has substituted a cast iron skillet for the pizza stone?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Cheers,
steven

not sure about the cast iron but i know i've heard you can buy a thick quarry stone for flooring at home depot (not sure what you have in japan) for about 2 dollars and use that. i need to find out what kind... saw it on good eats the other night.

I would ask you to please use caution using clay tiles etc., and even some stones found at discount stores. Some of them can contain lead and there is simply no way to tell. At the very least use a piece of parchment in between the cooking surface and your food. If it is intended for cooking and was manufactured in the USA, you shouldn't have to worry about lead content (should be stamped on bottom).

As for cooking on cast iron, I am sure it will do the job, but watch your time and temperature and know that cast iron doesn't "breathe" like stoneware does, so you may notice a tougher crust. Just don't overcook it and you'll be fine. Good luck!

I cant find a pizza stone either, but one thing you can do to up the heat intensity in your oven is to line the edges with some special types of brick (there are a number of different kinds you can use). If you preheat oven with these bricks in for at least a half hour (usually longer, though), they will get very hot and release this heat which keeps the temparature high.

The purpose of the stone is not only that it retains heat, but that it draws away moisture which will promote a nice crust. I do not think you will get that same result from cast iron.

The only suggestion I can make is take a piece of dough and try it.

If you have a enameled cast iron with a lid , you could use that , it would retain steam . I use it for no-knead bread as well as the 5 min. a day artisan breads. I do have a pizza stone but I find using the enameled cast iron with the lid does a nicer job on the bread.

Flukx, Pampered Chef has representatives in Germany and I can put in a referral for you if you really want a stone ... I am not self-promoting and to my knowledge there is no personal benefit for me to do so, I promise. But I do love my stoneware and think every kitchen would benefit from at least one good piece. Send me a PM if you would like me to help you, otherwise just go to The Pampered Chef, Ltd. and maybe you can search for someone local that way (we can on the US and CN sides, but not sure about European as that is a different business segment altogether.

I've used cast iron skillets in place of pizza stones only because I wanted to try making a pizza that way. Lodge manufacturing has a skillet thats right for pizza's:cool:

The size of the skillet i use is 10-1/4", the right size for a personal pizza:ROFLMAO:

I've used my largest cast iron pan on the Webber Kettle to make pizza and it worked wonderfully. The crust was perfect, and with a slightly smoky flavor from the fire. I strongly recommend it. Just use a little oil on the pan surface before putting the dough in.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom