"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 01-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
You can buy whole grain naan but would whole wheat pitta bread do the trick?
Around here if you want an whole grain Indian flat bread, it's roti or chapati. Whole grain pita would work, but it's hard to find. That's why I get the Azim bread. I don't usually see roti or chapati for sale. I order it in Indian restos. I guess I should look roti or chapati next time I'm in an Indian grocery store. I have made chapati, but it doesn't always puff up and I'm lazy.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Yikes! I just bought some whole grain pita at the health food store. It's not even organic. It was $5.29 for five pitas. It weighs 225 grams (just under half a pound). The company that made the whole grain pita we used to buy at Costco, but Costco doesn't carry it any more.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Master Chef

I get my flat breads from Trader Joe's. Six rounds for $1.99.
I've made pizza with them also and they turned out real good.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:18 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks for the great idea. I made pizza using French bread, but storing the rest of the loaf takes up a lot of room. I'll be looking for this.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:14 AM   #15
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Naan was one of the flat breads I was thinking of. But, naan is made with white flour and we don't do white flour.
Stonefire makes a whole grain naan, and it should be available at Costco in Montreal, according to their website:

Naan

I've been using their products to make pizza for a while now. They're a little expensive, in my opinion, but delicious. A lot of times I don't even use tomato sauce. One of our favorites is to simply brush olive oil and garlic on it, then top with a few fresh spinach leaves, balsamic caramelized onions, goat cheese, and walnuts. Bake in a hot oven just long enough to wilt the spinach leaves. It might sound a little odd, but it's awesome.

Note that Stonefire also makes pizza crusts. However, they are white flour. They also don't have a lot of flavor. I like the naan much better.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Stonefire makes a whole grain naan, and it should be available at Costco in Montreal, according to their website:

Naan

I've been using their products to make pizza for a while now. They're a little expensive, in my opinion, but delicious. A lot of times I don't even use tomato sauce. One of our favorites is to simply brush olive oil and garlic on it, then top with a few fresh spinach leaves, balsamic caramelized onions, goat cheese, and walnuts. Bake in a hot oven just long enough to wilt the spinach leaves. It might sound a little odd, but it's awesome.

Note that Stonefire also makes pizza crusts. However, they are white flour. They also don't have a lot of flavor. I like the naan much better.
I'll check the next time I'm at Costco. I've put it on the list. I would be surprised if I missed it. It's not made from white whole wheat, is it?

I just checked the site. Yes, they sell stuff at the Montreal Costco. That's about 30 km away. I shop at the Pointe-Claire Costco which is about 2.5 km from home. Doesn't seem worth the effort to drive to the Montreal Costco, since they say they don't necessarily carry their entire line at all locations. Thanks for looking this up for me.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

GA Home Cook, thanks for the reminder! I remember getting Flatout awhile back, but didn't think of it for pizza. Now to remember where I found it....
Old 01-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I made some pizza on pita last night and it was really good. Thanks for pointing out that flat breads make good pizza.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #19
Master Chef

I stopped at the "dead bread" store today and picked up a package of flat bread, so tonight I will give this a whirl, my only question is about how long to you bake them. When I make a conventional pizza from scratch I get the oven as hot as I can and it takes 18 to 20 minutes. With these everything is cooked and they are significantly smaller so what do you think?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I stopped at the "dead bread" store today and picked up a package of flat bread, so tonight I will give this a whirl, my only question is about how long to you bake them. When I make a conventional pizza from scratch I get the oven as hot as I can and it takes 18 to 20 minutes. With these everything is cooked and they are significantly smaller so what do you think?
Due to newly wonky thermostat on our oven, I can't tell you what temperature we used. The oven was set to 400F. Ten minutes made them look and taste like pizza. I would check sooner.

Tags
bread, pizza