"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 04-26-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Hello fellow Brit, I use 00 Italian flour or type 65 french flour, I don't like using British white bread flour as it has calcium added by law.
For your liquid try 50% water 50% milk.
My fav topping, part roast cube pots, make a onion marmalade, spread the marmalade on your dough top with the pots then scatter cubes of taleggio cheese on the pots, a few anchovy fillets chopped and scattered, bake

Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #12
Senior Cook

if you use Italian flour OO you not going to getting get really good results in less you have a high temperature oven or woodfired oven where you can reach temperatures of 800°f . If you like a chewy crust use a high gluten flour the King Arthur Sir Lancelot flour I think is 14.2% and there bread flour is about 1%± less than King Arthur's are Lancelot. It is my opinion that any bread flour or high gluten flour would make a good skin. Now if you're going for deep dish style that's another story. Here's a pie I made tonight. sausage, onion, red bell pepper, and the slightly burnt stuff on top was sun-dried tomato made with a sourdough recipe cooked on a stone in a home oven 625°F
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	10780   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	10781  

Old 05-07-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Guts I use 00 or 65 and 55 for all my yeast baking, the reason is that in the UK all white flour has calcium added by law and this affects the texture of the product ie it is impossible to get the light random holes in focaccia using it unless you add ascorbic acid.
I get good results using a stone in my Bompani at 600f but a wood fired oven would improve them.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

00 flour

Snoopy104, how did you get on using the Sainsbury '00' flour with durum wheat for your pizza dough? I got hold of some the other week and intend to use it soon for pizza dough as I will be getting a G3Ferrari pizza oven soon.

Does anyone else have ideas for pizza dough recipes?

An Italian friend said I should use a mix of '00' flour and 'manitoba' flour (I think he means strong Canadian flour).
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts View Post
home oven 625°F ...
What kind of oven do you have, wow, mine only goes to 550 and even that is doubtful.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post

Flour
Salt
SAF yeast (this is the kind you don't have to rehydrate)

Hot tap water
2 T Olive oil

details, details please. Also do you have the pick for the yeast? Please.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
What kind of oven do you have, wow, mine only goes to 550 and even that is doubtful.
Charlie I just have a cheap And gas range and I turned it is high is of the go in late heat for at least 30 min. with the stone in it. Some people have to leave their ovens on for an hour to get him really hot. I've also heard of disabling the cooking lock mechanism that you have for self-cleaning mode. I myself would not recommend this but I know of some people who have done this. I would not like to explain to my insurance company if the house burned down why I disabled this, so that's why I do not recommend it but I hear that it works if you maybe have an outside oven.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:59 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Pizza oven

CharlieD, not many ovens get that hot. My Italian friend has a wood-fired clay pizza oven in his house, but since that is not an option for me I asked him whether I should buy a pizza stone to improve my pizzas. He said that the next best thing to buy after a full blown clay pizza oven is to get a "pizza cooker". He recommended the G3Ferrari, although there are other brands too:-

G3 Ferrari - products, Parmino, Grat, Stapp, pizza oven

(UK)
New-Pizza Oven: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

It is definitely more of a pizza cooker than an oven, you can only bake one pizza at a time. However, it allegedly reaches 470 degrees celsius (880 fahrenheit), and it has a clay base to keep pizza bases crispy. Pizza cooking time is apparently 3-5 minutes.

I am receiving mine this week so will let you all know what I think of it.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Master Chef

Guts, I have a half decent oven and it is only maybe 2 years old. I still don't understand how you can get to 650. What brand/model of oven do you have.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
Cook

I got an Emile Henry baking stone for Christmas, and it works well in a home oven.

I, too, saw the Jamie Oliver pizza dough recipe...here at DC when a member recommended it. But, even though I found semolina flour at a local specialty food shop, haven't tried recipe yet 'cause it seems complicated (I'm a novice), and it makes a LOT of dough. Rather, used a Cooks Illustrated recipe, subbing King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour for some of the bread flour. It was good. Am going to make some more in a few days and use a little semolina and see how it comes out.

Tags
flour, pizza