Flour for making pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, after cooking 100-200 pizzas a day directly on an oven floor, I'd imagine there would be lots of pieces of carbon. IDK why they didn't do it, just know they didn't. One restaurant used conveyor belt-type oven, so perhaps that is why they needed pans. The other two used brick-type ovens, but both of them used thin pans as well. I hear ya on the "not really unsanitary" thing due to the heat. But I imagine trying to keep one clean, what with spilled cheese, dough, veggies... not much fun, and not what a customer wants to see or smell when they come in. In a small restaurant, I can see it as not being a big deal. In one of the others I worked in, we did as many as a thousand pies a day. MUCH easier to clean metal pans than an oven...

Anything spills in an oven that hot is practically vaporized and goes out the chimney. It barely leaves ash, let alone bits of carbon. I know that skin taken off the backs of my hands by the oven door were not hanging around by the time I got my hands bandaged.

Usually screens and conveyor ovens are for high volume commodity (fast food style) pizza places.

We never washed the screens when I worked in those places.

True on the screens. If they had anything stuck to them, 1 to 3 passes thru the oven usually took care of it. But the solid pans, we washed them at the end of each night, IIRC. Then again, that was more than a couple of years ago, so perhaps my memory is failing me. And I don't think we ever washed the deep-dish pans, that would have ruined the patina built up over time.

A lot of pizza joints use screens because it is much easier for people to handle the pies going into the oven.

I can't imagine why you would think it is unsanitary for the pizza to touch the brick when these ovens run 700-800F, what is gonna survive that for more than a fraction of a second?
That's what I was thinking.

I know Italian flours are classified: tipo 00 and tipo 0. I was not aware this classification is adopted in the USA. My suggestion: make pizza (or bread) dough any way you can and then work to perfect it the second time around. I also recommend using instant dry yeast. It is much easier to use and it does not require proofing. Just mix it in with the flour like you would do with baking soda. I make my pizza and bread dough using regular white flour and a little whole wheat.

Attachments

• Copy of pizza 021.jpg
    Copy of pizza 021.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 197

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom