Frozen pizzas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before you run out and buy a pizza stone try using a well-seasoned cast iron pan with a sprinkle of cornmeal.

I also reheat leftover pizza on the stove top in a cast iron frying pan. I smear a thin film of butter on the bottom of each slice to create a toasted crunchy texture to the crust.

These days I keep a box of Elio's frozen pizza in the freezer and bake a slice in the toaster oven or buy a slice at the grocery store deli. Times change.:mad::ermm::LOL:

I have been wanting to do a cast iron pizza for quite a while. It is a lot like a pizza stone, in that you preheat the cast iron skillet.

But, since this is a frozen pizza thread, I have not tried cooking one on a stone or in a cast iron pan. It has always seemed to work out okay just on the oven rack. If you add a lot of ingredients to "doctor one up," I guess that could make a difference. Especially with veggies that may have a lot of water content.

I agree that reheating pizza in a cast iron skillet does work well. I would think you could do it in the oven just as well as on the cooktop.

CD

Im a pizza snob. Ill eat it when its hot and as it cools down to room temperature, but once it goes into the fridge or freezer, I won't touch it. Just doesn't taste or feel the same as it did day 1.

As for frozen, some ill cook right on the rack ( with a pan on the rack below to catch the jumpers), Other times Ill use a stone or perforated pizza pan, Occasionally ill add onions, mushrooms or both.

Always hit any slice ( pizzeria or frozen) with garlic powder.

Homemade, I get the dough from the supermarket ( sometimes its frozen , other times it refrigerated). For home made, always a pizza stone. On nice days, if I'm up to it, Ill sometimes cook it right on the grill. I find that the dough sometimes cooks faster than the cheese melts on the grill, so I have a smaller stone on one side of the grill, I start the pizza on that, then slide it over, directly on the grill for the last minute or so, just to get that charred - grilled flavor/ texture to it.

I never tried a frozen pizza on the grill. Maybe ill give it a go in a few months.

Last edited:
Oh, and to add to my pizza snobbery, I never ever ever eat it with a fork and knife. thats sacrilege where I come from. Our Mayor got chastised, publicly, for doing such. Just fold it in 1/2 and eat your way to the crust. Who cares if grease runs down your arm to your elbow, its part of the experience .

Oh, and to add to my pizza snobbery, I never ever ever eat it with a fork and knife. thats sacrilege where I come from. Our Mayor got chastised, publicly, for doing such. Just fold it in 1/2 and eat your way to the crust. Who cares if grease runs down your arm to your elbow, its part of the experience .

+1!!!!

Wife gets them for about $4, cheap as chips. I add fillings and BBQ sauce then heat up. Pretty good I reckon.

Russ

I haven't bought a frozen pizza for years mainly because they take up too dang much freezer room for real food. However, like Larry I do buy the dough from the supermarket ( sometimes its frozen , other times it refrigerated) and they make a darn good pizza. If I don't have to make the dough, they are a cinch to make on my pizza stone.

Most brands of frozen pizzas are doughy gut busters to me. They skimp on using quality ingredients in order to keep the price down. Not the dough tho. There's plenty of that. I can get a large carry out 3 topping pizza for $7.99. Once more, they taste good the next day. Refrigerated left over store bought pizza heated up the next day? Yuk. At $7.99, I get two delicious pizza meals for $4.00 each (dinner, lunch the next day). I realize not everyone has a pizzeria nearby.

Last edited:

When I was in Napoli, the birthplace of pizza, I was a little surprised to see everyone around me eating their pizza with a knife and fork.

CD

All my life , here in NY, Ive always seen it folded in half. But for whatever reason, my wife and my son use the fork and knife. I dont know why, but it aggravates me watching them eat it like that. :)

All my life , here in NY, Ive always seen it folded in half. But for whatever reason, my wife and my son use the fork and knife. I dont know why, but it aggravates me watching them eat it like that. :)

That is definitely a NY thing. Down here, nobody cares. I'd say most people in Dallas eat pizza by hand, but it is not as controversial here as it is in NY, especially in NYC.

CD

All my life , here in NY, Ive always seen it folded in half...
That's because NY pizza is so skinny-a$$ed! :D We like pizza with a real crust, so folding isn't really an option. Unless you're in Cleveland's Little Italy during "The Feast". There, the streetside booths offer only two kinds of pizza: plain cheese, or with sausage. The sausage one is a square/rectangle of cheese pizza with a length of sausage down the middle. You fold the pizza around the sausage like a hot dog bun and, voila!, sausage pizza. Delizioso!

It's thin crust for me, CG. I don't want to eat a loaf of bread with sauce and cheese.

CD

I'm not talking about the really thick Sicilian crust, cd. That's like a tomato-and-cheese focaccia. It needs to be thicker than NY style crust, but still thin enough to bend at the midpoint between tip and crust.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom