"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 05-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Ok. I see what you are saying. You do have to be careful on how you expose garlic to heat.
You could add a small amount of fresh garlic and parsley to the flour so the dough would be flavored before baking then brush with the additional after baking.

I have made garlic and basil bread sticks and they were wonderful.

I will try this brushed with my homemade garlic butter after baking. Thank you for the inspiration!!

Old 05-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Thank you for responding.
Your comment has me puzzled. You go from "I know of no restaurant that adds any garlic, or anything to the dough. Thats why I don't do it."
then to, "It might be good. But would not be traditional."
Then to, "They might even taste like school cafeteria rolls."
Although I know of no restaurant that does it, I add onion powder and toasted onion flakes to the dough when I make onion bagels. I was interested in a richly onion-flavored bagel. Though it may not be traditional, it's delicious.
School cafeterias... a traditional source of innovative, non-standard recipes.
My posting skills may not be as good as they should be.
You can make yours how you like them. I make mine trying to mimick the rolls and sticks I grew up eating.
I am certain your rolls are great too. Just not the way I am trying to make mine.
I am trying to copy the ones I liked the very best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
With no malice intended, WHY does it always have to be "your way" or "the way it was done here"? If someone tries something different from a recipe as written (wonderful and easy, S&P) or different from the way a particular restaurant makes it, or the way you think it should be made, and they like the end product, why should they be discouraged from trying it a different way? If it ends up tasting completely , at least it's a lesson learned and, hopefully, shared. Just my 2 cents worth - or, maybe 3.
Please understand I mean no disrespect and i am fully in support of anyone cooking and baking the way they like.
If you would go back a page or two in this thread, you will see where Craig and I had something in common. "Mary's" garlic sticks.

My intention was to discuss those long ago memories and how these fantastic sticks were made.
I directed nothing at anyone in particular except Craig.
We both hail from the same area.

Sorry I rustled your feathers.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
My
I am trying to copy the ones I liked the very best. If you would go back a page or two in this thread, you will see where Craig and I had something in common. "Mary's" garlic sticks.

My intention was to discuss those long ago memories and how these fantastic sticks were made.
I directed nothing at anyone in particular except Craig.
We both hail from the same area.

Sorry I rustled your feathers.
You replied to Andy's suggestion about adding garlic powder to the dough, though.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You replied to Andy's suggestion about adding garlic powder to the dough, though.
For what it's worth, adding garlic powder to the dough would change the flavor, and that's all I saw in his comment. It wouldn't be the flavor he was looking for. I don't see any need for anyone to take offense at it.

I don't really use a lot of garlic powder myself, because it results in a taste that is quite different from fresh. I'll use it in grilling rubs (and more often I use granulated), and in recipes where it's called for and where substitution of fresh garlic is not practical, but rarely in anything I prepare from scratch. Just a matter of personal preference.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
For what it's worth, adding garlic powder to the dough would change the flavor, and that's all I saw in his comment. It wouldn't be the flavor he was looking for. I don't see any need for anyone to take offense at it.

I don't really use a lot of garlic powder myself, because it results in a taste that is quite different from fresh. I'll use it in grilling rubs (and more often I use granulated), and in recipes where it's called for and where substitution of fresh garlic is not practical, but rarely in anything I prepare from scratch. Just a matter of personal preference.
And that's fine. I was just pointing out that he said on the one hand that he was only responding to CraigC but on the other hand, he responded to Andy with a negative. It confuses people
Old 05-10-2015, 03:30 PM   #46
Senior Cook

What if I brushed the knots with just butter before baking and then topped them with the garlic mixture after baking?
Old 05-11-2015, 06:03 AM   #47
Head Chef

When I make "mom's buns" for special occasions out of a very rich sweet dough I roll out the dough to twice the width of what I need to make the knots and coils, spread it with soft butter, fold over, then cut the slices to make the buns so that would work.

I believe you have to be careful about adding fresh garlic to yeast dough as I seem to remember reading something long ago about it inhibiting rising. I have added sautéed veges, including garlic, to bagel dough when making homemade vege bagels but have never tried adding fresh garlic to dough, as any exposed garlic would burn and be bitter during cooking, besides possibly inhibiting rising.

As far as adding garlic powder, for the amount you would have to add to make a difference in taste, I think it would cause an odd taste to the dough, just my opinion though.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #48
Senior Cook

S&P any special instructions on how wide to cut the ribbons?
Old 05-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
What if I brushed the knots with just butter before baking and then topped them with the garlic mixture after baking?
That would work, too. It's not unusual to brush rolls with butter before baking (and again after baking).
Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
And?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Thanks. Your take is spot.

Quote:
And that's fine. I was just pointing out that he said on the one hand that he was only responding to CraigC but on the other hand, he responded to Andy with a negative. It confuses people
I will check with you in the future before posting. I could write the post in Word, save it, email it to you, then you could look it over, correct any inconsistencies and then give me the okay, then i will post it.
Hows that?

Tags
garlic