"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 05-12-2015, 07:23 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a funny after taste to their products? I especially notice it with the crescent rolls, biscuits and cinnamon rolls.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:45 AM   #62
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a funny after taste to their products? I especially notice it with the crescent rolls, biscuits and cinnamon rolls.
I know exactly the taste that you are taking about. I can't really describe it, I don't taste it in any other products but refrigerated biscuit/dough products. I don't really care for it, but the cinnamon in the cinnamon rolls helps cover it a bit. I can eat crescent rolls with butter and be happy.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #63
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I have not had them in years.

During my heyday I could make a tube of crescent rolls disappear in a matter of minutes without noticing any strange aftertaste!

I was only trying to point out that you don't need to be a baker to enjoy home baked goods. If you don't care for rolls in a tube try a ball of fresh pizza dough from the refrigerated food case.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #64
Head Chef

I made these yesterday with tube rolls. Italian cheese bombs. They were stuffed with salami & mozz cheese, then dipped in evoo and Italian seasoning w/ parm cheese. Not as good as garlic knots!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #65
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I made these yesterday with tube rolls. Italian cheese bombs. They were stuffed with salami & mozz cheese, then dipped in evoo and Italian seasoning w/ parm cheese. Not as good as garlic knots!
They look really good.

We do something similar except it's Andouille and white cheddar wrapped in a yeast dough and deep fried, then served with homemade BBQ sauce. Cajun bombs would be a good name for them. Both are Emeril's recipes from his X-mas/New Year's cookbook.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:18 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
No need. I'm not the one who was confused.
But you sure did make a point of, well, pointing it out.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I would just like to say that most of the time these are made with left over pizza dough. Although you can make a batch of pizza dough just to have knots. If you wanted to infuse the dough with more garlic flavor I don't think I would use garlic powder. I would use garlic infused olive oil when mixing the dough.

I have not tried using bread dough for garlic knots but I can't see why that wouldn't work too.
I have a small container with garlic infused olive oil in the fridge. I had sliced a bunch of raw garlic and placed it in olive oil for a dish I was making that required both ingredients. I had more oil than the recipe call for, but I didn't want to toss it. I placed a small amount of citric in it and there it sits waiting for those garlic knots. Thanks for the idea.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Now this I can do! Thanks AB!
You remind me of my girlfriend in California. She will tell you she doesn't do flour or dirt. Meaning she doesn't bake or do gardening.

So three years in a row she flew me out there to bake the Hershey's Chocolate Cake for her husbands birthday and the little soirée that she had that night. Everyone raves about that cake. I NEVER try to pass that off that it is my recipe. I am always willing to share a recipe with anyone who asks. I am only too happy to spread the news about how great that cake is.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Garlic Knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You remind me of my girlfriend in California. She will tell you she doesn't do flour or dirt. Meaning she doesn't bake or do gardening.

So three years in a row she flew me out there to bake the Hershey's Chocolate Cake for her husbands birthday and the little soirée that she had that night. Everyone raves about that cake. I NEVER try to pass that off that it is my recipe. I am always willing to share a recipe with anyone who asks. I am only too happy to spread the news about how great that cake is.

Heh. It's not that I CAN'T bake, Addie, it's more that I don't like to bake. Way too fiddly, as Taxy would say.

Now playing in the dirt, that I enjoy.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Heh. It's not that I CAN'T bake, Addie, it's more that I don't like to bake. Way too fiddly, as Taxy would say.

Now playing in the dirt, that I enjoy.
I understand. Baking requires paying attention to detail. And a lot of folks would rather fly by the seat of their pants. Some of the best dishes were made that way.

And playing in the dirt? I am with you there. I would love to be able to do gardening again.

Tags
garlic